Oozing with sauce, toppings falling everywhere, bread demolished. Yeah, that’s all just leftovers to be spooned up with a chip in a minute. Extra toppings for the fries. I want my sandwiches big and messy.
How do you like your sandwiches? Are you prim and proper politely chewing around the edges in small bites so that nothing could possibly slide out? Are you one of those people who wouldn’t be seen in public picking up a sandwich with your hands and uses a knife and fork to trim away small nibbles? Or are you like me, and believe that the messier the sandwich, the better. That may be a prerequisite for this Chicago Italian Beef Sandwich. Oozing with sauce, toppings falling everywhere, bread demolished. Yeah, that’s all just leftovers to be spooned up with a chip in a minute. Extra toppings for the fries. I want my sandwiches big and messy.
In this case, if it’s not messy, you didn’t do it right.
If you’re looking for some sandwich inspiration, you’ve come to the right place! Try these out once you’ve devoured every last bit of beef and peppers!
- Blackened Swordfish Sandwich
- Leftover Smoked Turkey Sandwich
- Fried Pork Chop Sandwich with Rosemary Truffle Aioli
If you’ve tried my Chicago Italian Beef Sandwich, or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
Chicago Italian Beef Sandwich
- 3 tbs Italian Seasoning
- 2 tbs fine sea salt
- 2 tbs freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teas cayenne
- 1 teas paprika
- 1 teas red chili flakes
- 4 lbs beef top round with fat cap
- 2 tbs bacon fat
- 3 yellow onions chopped
- 1 head garlic each clove peeled and smashed
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 hoagie rolls split and toasted
- 1 cup chopped drained giardiniera
- 1 cup jarred red bell peppers sliced 1/4″ strips
- Mix the spices, Italian seasoning through red chili flakes in a bowl. Coat the beef round with the spice mix evenly. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 275.
- In a braiser, heat the bacon fat over medium high heat and brown beef on all sides, about 15 minutes total. Add the onions and cook for another 5 minutes, until tender. Add the garlic and cook one minute longer. Finally, add the wine, Worcestershire, beef stock, and bay leaves. Deglaze the pan and transfer to oven to finish cooking.
- Cook for 1 hour 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove meat from cooking liquids and let cool completely. (After a 20 minute cool, I wrap tightly in aluminum foil and cool in fridge for easy slicing).
- When the meat is cool, slice into very thin pieces. Reheat the broth and add the beef.
- Assemble the sandwich by layering meat, with extra broth, giardiniera and red pepper strips over the toasted rolls. If it’s not messy, you didn’t do it right.