Want a perfect holiday feast? This Herb Rubbed Top Round Roast Beef is the cheap cut with tons of flavor that will leave your guests totally impressed!
Ever wonder what the perfect cut for supper is when you are looking to feed a crowd but not break the bank? Wanting something that isn’t just another roasted turkey. Grab an inexpensive top round roast and a bunch of fresh herbs and let’s get to making something that your dinner guests will rave about. (I am all about being savvy with my cash and getting the most bang for my buck when it comes to entertaining). This Herb Rubbed Top Round Roast recipe is hard to mess up, quick to prep, and is perfect all dressed up to entertain or shaved thin for sandwiches later.
Worried that you may ruin this giant cut of perfect red meat under the pressure for creating a top notch meal? Don’t. I have a little life saver that fit’s in your back pocket. Get help selecting the perfect cut and portion with the new Roast Perfect App from my buddies over at Certified Angus Beef. The app even walks you through selecting the temperature which you want the finished product to be served at and the perfect method for getting the best results. It’s loaded with recipes and suggestions from the crew over at Certified Angus just hoping to get you to buy a roast instead of a turkey to serve your guests. Now that you have the main dish all sorted out, check out these mashed chipotle cheddar potatoes and easy thyme infused biscuits to serve up along side. Be a regular Martha Stewart with your bad self.
I find that with red meat, it really is simple. Not a lot of fuss or frills beforehand and you will serve the best slice of beef to eager and salivating guests. From start to finish, breeze through a big holiday meal like a boss, leaving plenty of time and energy for sipping wine and laughing the night away with friends.
Because at the end of the day, that’s what it’s all about.
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 2 tbs minced fresh thyme
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 tbs unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 4 to 5 lbs top round roast, fat trimmed if needed
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tbs pepper
- Mix the parsley, thyme, and shallot in a small bowl. Remove 2 tbs of the herb mix to another bowl and set aside. Add the mustard ad 1 tbs of the oil to the remaining herb mix and stir to combine. With the previously reserved herbs, mash in the butter with a fork to mix everything well.
- Butterfly the roast. Season liberally with salt and pepper on all sides. Using your fingers, spread the mustard mixture evenly over the interior of the meat. Fold the meat back up and tie with kitchen twine. Allow the beef to rest in the fridge at least 4 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. In a large oven safe skillet, heat the remaining oil. Sear the beef on all sides, until just browned. Transfer to oven and allow to cook 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the meat temps at 125 degrees F.
- Carefully transfer the beef to a cutting board to rest. Spread a generous dollop of the herb butter over the roast and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
Cook's Country Sampler Magazine
Going to try the Herb Rubbed Top Round Roast Beef?! I’d love to see what you created! Tag me on Instagram and let me know!