Tools Used in this Recipe:
- 2 pounds Idaho® Fingerling potatoes scrubbed and dried
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 teas barbecue spice blend
- ¼ teas cayenne pepper
- ¼ - ½ cup mayo
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 6 strips bacon cooked and chopped
- ½ red pepper seeded and sliced
- ½ red onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- Parsley for garnish chopped
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat. If using charcoal, build a 2-zone fire by stacking the coals to one side of the grill. If using grill, heat 2 burners over high and one over low. Close the lid and allow the grill to heat. Meanwhile, wrap wood chips in foil and poke a few holes into the foil. Place over the heat and allow the smoke to build.
- Cut the fingerling potatoes in half and place in a large bowl. Toss with the olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, paprika, barbecue spice blend and cayenne pepper to coat. Arrange the potatoes over the cooler side of the grill and allow to cook until fork tender, about 20 - 25 minutes, depending on your grill. Check every 10 minutes and flip as needed to avoid overcooking any one side of the potato. (Rotating the potatoes around the cooler side often helps to keep from over cooking, charring or burning).
- Remove the potatoes from the grill and lay in a single baking sheet to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk the mayo, red wine vinegar, and mustard together.
- Place the potatoes into a large bowl with the bacon, red pepper, onion, and celery. Fold in the mayo mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley. Serve immediately or cover and store in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Add in some chopped hard boiled eggs to the potato salad for extra protein and flavor!