Trying the Whole30 diet had me locked down on a few simple meals, hundreds of eggs, and pretty much hating life. Then I remembered that I loved to cook and really started creating recipes that rocked! This Grilled Flank Steak with fresh Chimichurri over Saffron Cauliflower Rice is my spin on fajitas really taking things up a notch with pineapple marinated steak and saffron infused ‘rice’. Just what I needed to make the rest of my Whole30 diet fun!
A few months ago, I tested out the Whole30 Diet and swore to myself I wasn’t going to starve to death. We can get into the long and boring answer of why I would be crazy enough to cut anything from my diet, but reality is, I wanted to try it. The first few days, as instructed in the book, did suck. But, I really started to wonder just why. I mean, I cook everything any way, not allowing myself carbs, cheese, and a few sugary drinks shouldn’t really be that hard.
Then I realized, it was because I was focusing on the things I couldn’t have. All of the hard ‘NO’s’. I was reading and re-reading the rules as though someone had come down from the mountains with tablets carved of stone and I was sure to muck it up. Sure enough, this ‘I can’t’ mentality was crushing my creative spirit and leaving me one sulking cuss who was just whining about how hard everything was.
Truth, it’s not hard.
It’s not hard at all.
And seriously, don’t try to google 75 ways to create Whole30 Approved desserts. That’s kind of self-sabotage for the whole thing.
Instead of focusing on all the things you can’t have on Whole 30 and locking down like 3 meals to reuse for 30 days in a row, start to think about all of the flavors you can create, the basics of cooking, how to infuse and mingle flavors to appease your taste buds. How to incorporate texture to keep everything toothsome. Once that switch flipped in my mind, things got good. Real good. Like, pineapple marinated Grilled Flank Steak with fresh Chimichurri over Saffron Cauliflower Rice good.
At the end of the 30 days, I hadn’t lost a pound, but I did feel great. I was sleeping really well and really enjoyed the way my body felt. I will admit, I was disappointed it wasn’t a miracle weight loss solution, but as a runner, and mountain biker, I realize my body fluctuates pretty evenly from month to month. Overall thou, the feeling great is a reward all to itself and I ended up using some of the basic principles I learned in many meals since.
For more Whole30 Inspiration – check out my ‘How Not to Starve on the Whole 30‘ Recipe section for recipes like Smoked Stuffed Poblano Enchiladas and Hickory Smoked Pork Ribs, or check out my entire page on Pinterest dedicated to the trend. Chime in and let me know what recipe you have tried that you loved or which one you are looking forward to.
Now, let’s eat. Grilled Flank Steak with fresh Chimichurri over Saffron Cauliflower Rice
- 2 lbs Flank Steak
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tbs Cumin
- 1 teas Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/3 cup Coconut Aminos*
- 1/2 cup Pineapple Juice
For the Chimichurri
- 3/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 large bunch freshParsley
- 1 teas Red Pepper flakes
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Red Onion
For the Saffron Infused Cauliflower
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- pinch Saffron
- 2 cups Cauliflower Rice
- Fire Roasted Peppers and Onions for combining
- Pat the flank steak dry and season with salt and pepper. Mix cumin, red pepper flakes, coconut aminos, and pineapple juice in a large resealable bag. Add the flank steak and marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours.
- When ready to grill, grease the grill grates and preheat your grill or light and prep your coals if using charcoal.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and reserve the marinade. Pat the steak dry and grill to medium rare, flipping once. Allow the steak to rest in foil for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the marinade to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid has reduced by half.
Make the Chimichurri
- In a blander or food processor, blend the olive oil, parsley, red pepper flakes, garlic cloves, and red onion until your chimichurri has reached your desired texture. Add more or less oil to thicken or thin.
For the saffron infused cauliflower rice
- Simmer chicken stock in a large skillet with saffron to infuse. Strain into a heat safe jar. Add the cauliflower rice to the skillet and toast. Add the infused chicken stock to pan and toss to coat the cauliflower.
- Finally, arrange the fire roasted onions and peppers on a platter with the saffron cauliflower rice. Slice the flank steak and arrange over top with a garnish of chimichurri.
- Serve family style, allowing everyone to take what they want, with more chimichurri on the table for passing.