Every now and then you need to mix up the menu. Maybe you are looking for a recipe that dresses up the holiday spread. Maybe you are hunting for something that doesn’t need to roast all day to be dry and dull. Maybe you are just tired of traditional turkey. Let me show introduce you to this. This garlic stuffed pork roast doesn’t take all day and best of all, it’s loaded with flavor. It’s moist, literally loaded with flavor, and the leftovers make one hell of a sandwich.
Throw out tradition. Get to cooking.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbs olive oil
- 22 garlic cloves 10 peeled and crushed, 12 whole unpeeled
- salt and pepper
- 1 2 1/2 to 3 lbs boneless pork loin roast
- 1/2 teas red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teas fresh thyme
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1/4 teas sugar
- Add 1/2 cup oil and 10 crushed garlic cloves to a large resealable bag.
- Butterfly the pork and place in the bag. Seal, coat evenly, and allow to marinate for up to 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, toast the remaining 12 garlic cloves in a skillet over medium heat until lightly browned and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- When cool enough to handle, peel 10 and mince. In a small bowl, combine minced roasted garlic with 1 tbs oil, red pepper flakes, thyme and 1/2 teas salt, 1/4 teas pepper. Mash with a fork to make a paste.
- When ready to cook preheat the oven to 325 degrees F, remove the pork from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Smear the paste inside leaving a 1" border. Securely tie using cooking twine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the skillet with the remaining 1 tbs oil over medium high heat. Add the pork roast and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Place the pork on a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 50 to 60 minutes, until it temps at 140 F at it's thickest point.
- Mince the remaining 2 toasted cloves and add to a microwave safe bowl with the 2 tbs butter and 1/4 sugar. Microwave until garlic is golden and butter is melted, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the pork to a cutting boar and brush with the garlic butter. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve.