This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy
Lets get messy! This Chicken Cheesesteak delivers on all fronts. If you aren’t struggling to keep this one in the bun, you’re doing it wrong. Pile it on there and dig in!
Stop. Slow down baby.
We all know by now that this site is dedicated to all the glories of meat. No matter how you slice it. From brisket to bacon and back again, GirlCarnivore is home to meaty delights. I cast aside the sugary sweets for a dedicated space in the food blog world to give the whole hog a home. And do you know what someone dared to say? That my French Onion Burger was the cause of obesity in America. Facts aside people, I doubt that single burger is the cause. But just in case you need something a little lighter, this skinny cheesesteak is keeping it real with just the bare bones. And you know what, it tastes good.
But everything in moderation and all.
If you’ve tried my Chicken Cheesesteak recipe, or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 lbs chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 whole red pepper stemmed seeded and sliced
- 1 whole green pepper stemmed seeded and sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms sliced
- Provolone cheese sliced
- Split Hoagie Rolls
- Preheat the broiler and make sure that rack is placed in middle highest position. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cook spray or rub a little olive oil all over it.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, swirl the olive oil to coat pan. Slice the chicken to 1/2" strips and season with salt and pepper. Place in the hot pan and cook on all sides, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange the peppers, onions, and mushrooms on the prepared pan. Roast in the oven 5 to 7 minutes, checking and stirring and flipping as needing so that the veggies are cooked through and a little charred.
- On the baking pan, arrange the cooked chicken and veggies so that they are about divided up equally for buns. Layer the cheese over top and place back under the broiler for a few moments until the cheese has melted.
- Smear mayo over rolls and spoon the filling into each. Serve.
Don’t think that you can only make this recipe with chicken either. Throw on some turkey, Duck, Pheasant, heck, any bird that you happen to come across. We don’t discriminate against any meat here. Let me know how it goes in the comments, I always love to hear how my recipes take on a life of their own once released into the wilds of the internet. All I care about is that there are fat and happy bellies at the end. Dig in and enjoy.
Hey, I’m Kita, the Meat Maven, outdoor junkie, campfire connoisseur, adventure-seeking and world traveled recipe developer and photographer behind GirlCarnivore.com. My mission is to break down savory eats and inspire you to get a little grit under your nails while having fun with your food. READ MORE