This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy
Elevate traditional stuffed peppers by turning them into smoked barbecue goodness and make new fans out of a classic dish with these Smoked Pulled Pork Stuffed Peppers!
This post was sponsored by Head Country to highlight their kick-butt line of Barbecue sauces and spice blends. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
I often think of stuffed peppers as some sort of antiquated dish that only grandma’s serve. I have no idea where I got that notion from. Every time I reinvent the stuffed pepper (like these slow cooker Italian stuffed peppers or my healthy whole30 approved lamb-stuffed peppers), or heck, serve the classics, I am in love with the outcome. Something about substituting what would be a heavy dish for a fresh pepper and skipping some carbs makes it seem healthy and the flavors are always outstanding.
So, what’s up with these stuffed peppers?
I smoked a huge pork shoulder for a party last weekend and had a hefty portion left over for a variety of things. Not wanting an ounce to go to waste, but craving a healthy weeknight meal after a weekend of backyard barbecue gluttony, I decided to create a Tex-Mex inspired stuffed pepper with the pulled pork. I Threw in some of my Head Country Bar-B-Que sauce for a fast weeknight meal.
Luckily, I made extras. I ended up having these two nights in a row, and for lunch on the third day as they were that kind of good. I love reinventing and repurposing food to see how far I can stretch my money and still creatively feed my recipe testers. These smoked pulled pork stuffed peppers nailed top marks for everything.
What’s your favorite way to use up leftovers?
If you’ve tried my Smoked Pulled Pork Stuffed Peppers recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
Smoked Pulled Pork Stuffed Peppers
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1 cup smoked pulled pork shredded
- ½ cup yellow rice cooked and cooled
- ¼ red onion minced
- ½ cup black beans rinsed and drained
- 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese plus 2 oz for topping
- ½ cup Head Country Apple Habanero Bar-B-Que Sauce plus 2 tbsp for topping
- Salt Pepper, and Fresh snipped Parsley for Garnish
- Preheat smoker to 225 - 300 with desired woodchips. I used oak for this.
- Carefully cut the peppers in half and remove seeds.
- Combine the pulled pork, yellow rice, onion, black beans, and 4 oz shredded cheese in a bowl. Toss with ½ cup of the Head Country Apple Habanero Bar-B-Que to coat.
- Stuff the peppers equally with with the pulled pork filling and top with cheddar cheese.
- Place on the smoker and cook until the cheese has melted and the peppers are tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the smoker, plate and serve with additional Head Country Bar-B-Que sauce drizzled over top, fresh snipped parsley or cilantro and salt and pepper to taste.
Hey, I’m Kita, the Meat Maven, outdoor junkie, campfire connoisseur, adventure-seeking and world traveled recipe developer and photographer behind GirlCarnivore.com. My mission is to break down savory eats and inspire you to get a little grit under your nails while having fun with your food. READ MORE