There’s a time and a place for a big bowl of comfort food that you just want to shove your face into. And, it is my belief that that moment can be any time the mood strikes when it comes to chili. It breaks the soup and stew rule of cold weather dining. It is perfect as a topper on just about anything. And can bring a crowd of opinionated eaters together to argue over flavors and texture at a tailgate on any day there’s a game to watch. This slow cooker version uses ground turkey to lighten things up a bit but is still kicking it with flavor. Make a big batch today and feed your game day crowd, or divvy up and freeze for easy weeknight dinners.
Give me a dollop of Daisy and let’s get to noshing.
- 2 slices good white bread
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 3 onions diced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 6 garlic gloves minced
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs minced fresh oregano
- 1/2 teas red pepper flakes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 15 oz cans dark kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 2 teas minced canned chopolte chile in adobo sauce
- Make sure all your veggies are prepped and ready to go.
- In a large bowl, add the bread and milk. Mash with a fork. Season with 1 teas salt and 1 teas pepper and mix in the ground turkey by hand.
- In a a large skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add the onion, chili powder, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, oregano, and pepper flakes. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add the turkey mixture to the skillet and cook 6 minutes, breaking up and stirring as needed so that no pink remains. Stir in the tomato sauce and scrape up and browned bits.
- Transfer turkey mixture to a large slow cooker and add the kidney beans, soy sauce, brown sugar, and minced chipotle chile.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- Serve with desired chili fixings. Sour cream, shredded Monteray Jack cheese, additional tabasco sauce, chopped avocado, and any other additional toppings you may enjoy.