Is there ever a wrong time for chili? I mean, seriously. It’s my go to portable, take to work, make my neighbors weep, must have lunch for those random days when nothing else is going to hit the spot. And this turkey quinoa chili is even borderline healthy in so many ways it’s almost too hippy to be on this blog. But, I make exceptions every now and then. Spice up a big batch of Turkey Quinoa Chili as needed for your tastebuds and save in to go containers for lunch all week. And feel good doing it.
Now, go hug a tree.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 onion minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs oregano
- salt and pepper
- 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 to 2 teas Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup chopped sweet potato
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, swirl the olive oil to coat the pan. Cook the ground turkey, chopping as needed, to brown on all sides.
- Stir in the onion and cook 5 minutes longer. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper, and cook 30 seconds longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, Tabasco sauce, sweet potato, quinoa, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, covered for 25 to 30 minutes, until quinoa is cooked through and the chili has thickened. Add more chicken broth if needed.
- Serve with diced avocado and sour cream, if desired.