Get creative with leftovers and serve your biggest fans this leftover smoked turkey sandwich! Make ahead and be the hero of the campsite or tailgating party!
This post was sponsored by Head Country. However, that means go get you some sauce and enjoy these kick butt leftover loving sandwiches while it’s still game season!
You know those 15 minutes to good to be true recipes? This is one of them. And its a fun spin on all that leftover turkey you are about to have on hand.
Smoked Turkey BBQ Sandwiches are the perfect take on portable food. Whether you are setting up a weekend campsite, tailgating at your favorite asphalt jungle or kicking it in your own backyard, these are crowd-pleasing goodness every time.
Why are smoked turkey BBQ sandwiches everyone’s favorite?
Well, layers of smoked turkey tossed in your favorite Head Country Bar-b-que sauce and layered with thick slices of colby jack, for one. Two, because we all love crazy good uses for leftovers. And three, we all just love a good sandwich around here.
What’s best about this is you can change the flavor easy! Use Head Country’s Apple Habanero to heat things up or try the Chipotle (my favorite) for added smoke goodness. No matter who your crowd is, there’s a solution for it!
How to prep the smoked turkey bbq sandwiches ahead of time.
For tailgating or camping, follow the recipe, for the bbq coated smoked turkey. However, if using more than 8 hours in the future, wrap the turkey in foil to be reheated over the grill or campfire. If preparing within 5 to 7 hours, fill the sandwiches as instructed and wrap in foil to reheat (and melt the cheese) over the grill or fire.
Need some more game day inspiration to get you going? Check out the archives!
If you’ve tried my Leftover Smoked Turkey Sandwich recipe, or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 lbs smoked turkey leftovers picked over and chopped
- 1 onion minced
- 1 red pepper stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 - 2 cups your favorite Head Country Bar-B-Que Sauce
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 9 slices colby jack cheese
- fresh arugula for garnish
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, heat the turkey through.
- Remove from pan and saute the onion and pepper until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the turkey back to the pan and toss it all with the Head Country Bar-b-Cue sauce.
- Meanwhile, split and toast the rolls.
- Fill each roll evenly with the turkey mixture.
- Cut the cheese into strips and cover each layering up as desired.
- Place the sandwiches onto a baking sheet and toast once again, until the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh arugula for serving.
- See notes on tailgating or campfire prep for this recipe