This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy
I can tell you how many times I have come running to the table because of soup. Like…. zero. Soup. It’s all fodder up there with free breadsticks before you get the the real meat and potatoes of the bit. But, what if you can zest up a boring chicken soup. Infuse some deep flavors and add a hint of kick. Suddenly the whole chicken soup idea doesn’t sound so bad. Actually, for these lingering chilly days, it sounds pretty darned good. For this one, I kicked the noodles out back for a hearty gnocchi instead and dressed up the health aspect with some fresh kale. Good for you and tasty?
Now that’s Mmm mmm delicious.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 3 garlic gloves minced
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 teas red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teas fresh rosemary
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups cooked chopped chicken
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and chopped
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven, saute the onions, celery and pepper in the olive oil until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, red pepper flakes and rosemary. Cook for 1 minuted.
- Add the broth and season with salt and pepper. Add the chopped chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the gnocchi and return to a boil 3 to 5 minutes, until the gnocchi is tender.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the kale to wilt.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with fresh Parmesan cheese on top.
Hey, I’m Kita, the Meat Maven, outdoor junkie, campfire connoisseur, adventure-seeking and world traveled recipe developer and photographer behind GirlCarnivore.com. My mission is to break down savory eats and inspire you to get a little grit under your nails while having fun with your food. READ MORE