This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy
A simple creamy soup infused with lemon and laced with just enough chicken and rice to fuel you up.
Sometimes you want to faceplant right into a bowl of comfort food. The days are long, your bones are tired, and damnit, you just want your blanket and pillow. Give it up for something comforting. Something wholesome, and something that will warm you up and make you feel better. This is that kind of soup. A simple creamy soup infused with lemon and laced with just enough chicken and rice to fuel you up. This Greek Chicken and Egg Lemon Soup is good enough to be served at a fancy dinner party, but easy enough that I will beat out cracking open a can of god only knows what even on your sickest of days.
Grab a pot, peel a few lemons.
Let’s get this bowl of comfort food on.
Soups are the way to make it through the coldest and darkest of days. Let these recipes bring you some warmth and cheer!
- Ginger Turkey Meatballs with Roasted Carrot Soup
- Bone Marrow French Onion Soup
- Chicken Soup with Roasted Butternut Squash & Curry
If you’ve tried my Greek Chicken and Egg – Lemon Soup Recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
Greek Chicken and Egg-Lemon Soup
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teas cardamom
- 12 4 ” strips lemon zest about 2 lemons, tried together with string or in a satchel of cheesecloth
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice juice from 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 teas salt
- 6 oz cooked chicken
- 2 large eggs plus 2 yolks, room temperature
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, bring the stock to a boil. Add the rice, bay leaf, cardamom, lemon zest, salt. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the rice is tender, 16-20 minutes. Remove the satchel of lemon zest and the may leaf. Stir in the chicken.
- Bring the soup to a boil again over high heat and quickly reduce to low.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolks with the lemon juice. While continuously whisking, ladle in about 2 cups of the soup broth. Carefully pour the egg mixture back into the soup while continuing to stir. (If you don’t keep stirring, the egg cooks and ruins the texture). Cook on low heat for about 4 to 5 minutes, while the eggs thicken the soup, making sure to not simmer the soup and continue stirring. Remove from heat immediately and serve.
Hey, I’m Kita, the Meat Maven, outdoor junkie, campfire connoisseur, adventure-seeking and world traveled recipe developer and photographer behind GirlCarnivore.com. My mission is to break down savory eats and inspire you to get a little grit under your nails while having fun with your food. READ MORE