Maybe it’s the tortillas. Their soft foldable perfection… Maybe it’s the crisp toppings. Only limited by my imagination… Maybe it’s the zest from the perfect blend of spices. Kicked up and customized for a personal heatwave. Whatever it is, Mexican food is doing something right. These weeknight chipotle chicken burritos aren’t falling short on dinner cravings. With the possibility of adding any of your favorite salsa’s or additional fresh ingredients, these are kind of the base of all things quick and amazing on busy nights.
Bring on the crazy schedules and fast pace. I’ve got your back covered.
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup fresh pico de gallo
- 1 chipotle chile pepper in adobo sauce, minced, plus 1 to 2 tbs sauce
- 1/4 cup black bean salsa
- 1 14 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup chopped rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- salt and pepper
- 4 burrito sized flour tortillas
- 1 1/3 cup cooked rice
- 4 oz shredded cheese
- 1 cup shredded romaine
- sour cream, guacamole, additional pico de gallo for serving
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the pico de gallo, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, and salsa. Allow to cook, stirring constantly 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the pinto beans and water. Bring to a simmer and add the chopped chicken. Allow sauce to thicken, about 3 to 5 minutes when everything is heated through.
- Off heat, stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Arrange the burritos on a work surface and divide the rice evenly between them. Pile the cheese, chicken filling, and romaine lettuce on top. Wrap the bottoms in and fold the tops over all burrito style.
- Serve with additional burrito fixings.
Food Network Magazine April 2013