These weeknight chipotle chicken burritos are ready in minutes and aren’t falling short on Latin dinner cravings!
Maybe it’s the tortillas. Their soft foldable perfection… Maybe it’s the crisp toppings. Only limited by my imagination… Maybe it’s the zest from the perfect blend of spices. Kicked up and customized for a personal heatwave. Whatever it is, Mexican food is doing something right. These weeknight chipotle chicken burritos aren’t falling short on dinner cravings. With the possibility of adding any of your favorite salsa’s or additional fresh ingredients, these are kind of the base of all things quick and amazing on busy nights.
Bring on the crazy schedules and fast pace. I’ve got your back covered.
Why Chicken Burritos?
I personally can never get enough tacos. But with a burrito you can pack everything in to a nice neat package, and even take it with you. Think super portable taco delivery mechanism. And oversized taco for bigger appetites. And super delicious. so yeah, I’m all about burritos.
The secret of a great chicken burrito
When you do chicken burritos, the chicken has to be nicely seasoned or else it just gets lost in the mix.
There importance of seasoning the chicken therefore cannot be underestimated. I recommend using a rotisserie chicken here just because those are easy to deal with and do have some roasted flavor after being on the rotisserie.
If you don’t have rotisserie chicken handy, then chicken off the grill, with some nice singe marks on it is a big boon on flavor.
Of course, the chipotle adds plenty of smoke as well. But that is comes with a trade off in heat as well. In this case, where there is smoke there is definitely fire too.
How to wrap a burrito
If you want to wrap a burrito like they do at the Mexican drive through places in San Diego, then keep a few simple tips in mind.
- Put the ingredients right smack dab in the middle of the tortilla
- Leave about two inches from either side.
- Refer to the last tip and make sure you have a large enough tortilla to work with. You aren’t making tacos here. Use a grande sized tortilla.
- Lightly heat the tortilla to soften it up before you toss the ingredients in the center.
- Fold the two ends over the middle, then go from the bottom up. Make sure to fold that over the two ends. Now you have a nice safe pocket of deliciousness.
- Use the final turns to roll and tighten everything up and make it a thing of beauty and a joy to behold.
More Mex and Tex-Mex Inspirations
Tacos, Burritos, and Enchiladas are my happy place. From the super simple, to the loaded twisted tacos you’ll find on this site. I want all of them. Try these out next Tuesday!
- Mexican tuna salad
- Chorizo stuffed jalapenos
- Chicken chilaquiles
- Arroz con pollo
- Loaded Chorizo Tacos
- BBQ Brisket Tacos with Dubliner Cheese Sauce
- Baja Grilled Fish Tacos
If you’ve tried my Weeknight Chipotle Chicken Burritos recipe, or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
Weeknight Chipotle Chicken Burritos
- medium to large skillet
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¾ cup fresh pico de gallo
- 1 chipotle chile pepper in adobo sauce minced, plus 1 to 2 tbs sauce
- ¼ cup black bean salsa
- 14 oz pinto beans drained and rinsed well
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ cup chopped rotisserie chicken skin removed
- salt and pepper
- 4 burrito sized flour tortillas
- 1 ⅓ cup cooked rice
- 4 oz shredded cheese
- 1 cup shredded romaine
- sour cream guacamole, additional pico de gallo for serving
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the pico de gallo, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, and salsa. Allow to cook, stirring constantly 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the pinto beans and water. Bring to a simmer and add the chopped chicken.
- Allow sauce to thicken, about 3 to 5 minutes when everything is heated through.
- Off heat, stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Arrange the burritos on a work surface and divide the rice evenly between them.
- Pile the cheese, chicken filling, and romaine lettuce on top. Wrap the bottoms in and fold the tops over all burrito style.
- Serve with additional burrito fixings.