I didn’t know breakfast until today.
I was sad and alone in a world with only sugary sweets and prepacked bars and tarts to lure me in. Years I spend searching for a savory meal to satisfy the wrenching from my empty stomach in the morning and fuel me through the day. And today is the day that I found just that.
This Mexican breakfast is hearty layers of meat and protein and more protein and eggs and cheese and awesome. All topped with a delicate sprinkle of cheese. Crunch from the tostadas, spice from the salsa, and oh sweet mother of all that is good the egg and beans are amazing. Add some pickled red onions and toss some sweet fried plantains on the side and this may be my final request.
The hunt is over, fellow Carnivores. This is the breakfast you have been searching for.
- 6 slices thin cut cooked country style ham
- 1 tbs butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 15oz can refried beans
- 12 small tostada shells, warmed according to package
- Salsa, cheese, peas, and tabasco for topping
- Heat skillet to medium heat and cook the ham until heated through and browning. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in the skillet and swirl to coat. Crack the eggs into the skillet., working in batches if needed. Reduce heat to low, cook eggs, covered, for 2 to 4 minutes or until yolks have thickened and whites are completely set.
- Meanwhile, heat the refried beans in a microwave until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spoon the beans evenly over 6 of the tostada shells. Top with ham and a fried egg. Serve with desired toppings.
BHG Special Interest Mexican