This Huevos Motulenos breakfast is hearty layers of meat and protein and more protein and eggs and cheese and awesome.
I didn’t know breakfast until today.
Discovering Huevos Motulenos
I was sad and alone in a world with only sugary sweets and prepacked bars and tarts to lure me in. For years I spend searching for a savory meal to satisfy the wrenching from my empty stomach in the morning and fuel me through the day. And today is the day that I found just that.
I discovered the simple pleasure of huevos motulenos, a Mexican hearty breakfast dish.
What is huevos motulenos?
Yes, we have all heard of huevos rancheros. And that is all well and good.
Huevos motulenos takes the rancheros a few more layers deep. There are layers of meat, cheese, and egg topped with a delicate sprinkle of cheese.
Crunch from the tostadas, spice from the salsa, and oh sweet mother of all that is good the egg and beans are amazing. Add some pickled red onions and toss some sweet fried plantains on the side and this may be my final request.
My new favorite breakfast food
The hunt is over, fellow Carnivores. This is the breakfast you have been searching for. Because breakfast needs to provide the fuel you need for the day.
If you don’t want your stomach grumbling and grousing at you before you are two hours into the day, then this is the way to go. Full of protein, some fiber, and enough spices to wake you up, huevos motulenos fires on all cylinders.
More breakfast and brunch ideas
- 6 slices thin cut cooked country style ham
- 1 tbs butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 15 oz can refried beans
- 12 small tostada shells warmed according to package
- Salsa cheese, peas, and tabasco for topping
- Heat skillet to medium heat and cook the ham until heated through and browning. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in the skillet and swirl to coat. Crack the eggs into the skillet., working in batches if needed.
- Reduce heat to low, cook eggs, covered, for 2 to 4 minutes or until yolks have thickened and whites are completely set.
- Meanwhile, heat the refried beans in a microwave until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spoon the beans evenly over 6 of the tostada shells.
- Top with ham and a fried egg. Serve with desired toppings.
Bookmark this recipe now!Save Recipe BookmarkSaved Recipe!
Can’t wait for breakfast now.
Holy lord girl! I’m starving now!