Tortas hamburguesas comes together (almost) as quickly as those grocery market boxes and knocks them clear off the shelves.
Making homemade tortas hamburguesas
Ground beef. It’s like the be all end all American staple. Between “Helpers”, skillet meals, sauce packets, and kits, there’s not much mom can’t make on the quick with a pound or so to feed a hungry family.
Well, throw it all away.
Because this recipe comes together (almost) and blows away any pre-made store bought version. This is a weeknight burger the way things are meant to be. Tortas Hamburguesas. (There’s even magic bacon hidden inside of the patty.)
Mexican Style Tortas
Mexican tortas are wonderful sandwiches typically with a Hispanic flair to them. For all you folks that might assume France or England, the US of A have the best sandwiches, I urge you to try tortas.
Next time you are at your favorite Mexican restaurant, or perhaps that best kept secret food truck that makes tortas and check one out. Pretty much sandwich magic, served hot or cold depending on the contents.
But, if you feel like cooking in… Then I definitely have you covered! This tortas hamburguesas recipe hits the right notes, lightly spicy, but nice use of bacon, and cilantro.
A burger yes, but on its own terms.
What is a torta?
“Torta” sports several meanings so good to know the difference. In this case, Torta refers to the Mexican style of sandwich. But torta can also refer to break, or cake. The term even is used for omelettes in the Philippines.
In Mexico, two types of bread are typically used.
- Bolillos use a sub-shaped roll, essentially a baguette. Tortas made on bolillo rolls are also knowns as lonches. If it is made using sourdough then it is referred to as bilotes.
- Teleras are flatter than bolillos, the bread is soft and typically a round shaped bun with a pair of score marks on top.
- Toppings are varied, stewed pork, grilled chicken, hamburger, but also includes very typically Mexican ingredients with condiments such as crema, and herbs like cilantro, or spice from peppers.
Looking for more ways to elevate ground beef to the next level? Check out some of my Over-the-Top Burger Creations!
- Short Rib Burgers with Lemongrass & Fennel Slaw
- Zesty Pimento Cheeseburger
- Harissa Butter Stuffed Lamb Burgers
- Smoked Blueberry Raclette Burgers
If you’ve tried my Tortas Hamburguesas, or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
- 4 slices bacon cut into ¼″ pieces
- ¼ onion minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ¼ lbs ground beef
- cilantro handful snipped fresh
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ teas salt
- ½ teas black pepper
- Monterey Jack cheese with pepper sliced
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tbs smoked paprika
- bread or rolls split and toasted
- avocados sliced
- tomatoes sliced
- shredded lettuce
- cilantro pickled jalapeno, hot sauce as toppings
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, ketchup, and paprika. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Cook the bacon, onion, and garlic in a skillet over medium heat.
- Set aside to cool (reserve the bacon fat).
- When cooled, combine ground beef, bacon, drippings, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Form into ¼" thick patties, cover, and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat a skillet or griddle to medium-high heat. Cook patties 5 to 7 minutes, flipping once. Lay sliced cheese over patty when almost done and cover to steam and melt.
- Serve on toasted bread with mayo-ketchup sauce, avocado, lettuce, tomato and other desired toppings.