When’s the last time you sank your teeth into a simple oven-baked BBQ pork chop? But, can a pork chop in the oven actually have good flavor and still be juicy and tender? Yes, and this quick weeknight recipe is the no-fuss rescue the sheet pan chops been begging for.
This post was sponsored by Head Country Barbecue. Thoughts and opinions are my own.
Oven-baked pork chops bring back memories of shake-and-bake dinners with boil-in-a-bag veggies paired alongside (and trust me, as a kid, I loved that every veggie came with a cheese sauce). But, the meat was always dry and tough and as an adult, I went to the tenderloin for flavor on busy nights.
But, the standards exist for a reason. So, I wanted to see if giving this old-school dinner an update could succeed with the ease of those box kits but better with quick cook time, tender pork, and tons of flavor.
With a simple rub and a quick barbecue baste, this recipe checked all the boxes. These are not your mama’s pork chops. They are so much better.
What you need to make this recipe
This is a basic ‘what I’ve got in the pantry’ recipe. All you need is:
- Bone-in pork chops – about an inch thick
- Brown sugar
- Paprika – add smoked paprika for a sublte touch of smoked flavor
- Ground black pepper
- Hot and Spicy Head Country Bar-b-Que Sauce – The heat cuts the sweet from the brown sugar.
For the added Quick Spicy Pecans
- Brown sugar
- jalapeno infused olive oil – you can swap regular olive oil for this
How to make oven baked bbq pork chops
This recipe comes together quickly. So grab everything you need to make sure you pull it off seamlessly and don’t over cook the pork.
First preheat the oven and prep a baking sheet with foil.
Rub the pork with the brown sugar and spices and place on the baking sheet.
Bake the chops until they reach 130 F internally, just 15 minutes or so depending on the thickness of the chops.
Then, pull the chops from the oven and set it to broil.
Baste the chops in a thick layer of barbecue sauce and add the pecans before placing under the broiler.
Broil both sides, flipping once, until the BBQ sauce is tacky and the pork reaches 140.
Next, let the pork rest to reach 145F and make the quick spicy pecans.
Whisk the brown sugar, spices, oil and water in a small saucepan and allow to just begin to bubble before adding the pecans in to coat.
Lastly, turn the pecans out to cool before a rough chop.
Finally, serve the bbq pork chops with your favorite sides and garnish with the chopped pecans over top as garnish.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Yes, if you have boneless chops, you can absolutely use them. Boneless meat cooks quicker than bone in, so adjust your cook time accordingly.
Swap the Hot and Spicy Bar-b-q sauce for their original or hickory smoke if you’re worried about too much heat. Or, if you’re feeling bold try their chipotle bbq sauce.
No, these pork chops are best served fresh. if you don’t finish them all right after they are cooked, consider slicing them thin and using them in a toasted sandwich or omelet the next day. Every time you reheat the pork chop though, you’ll be cooking it further and loosing the juices.
More easy weeknight recipes
If you’ve tried this delicious recipe, or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
Oven-Baked BBQ Pork Chops
For the Quick Spicy Pecans:
- 2 tablespoon Brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon jalapeno infused olive oil
- 1 teaspoon water
For the Pork Chops :
- 1.5 – 2 lbs bone-in pork chops
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup Head Country Hot and Spicy Bar-B-Q Sauce
Prep the chops
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Pat the chops dry and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the chops on the baking sheet.
- Whisk the brown sugar, salt, paprika, cumin, and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Pat the brown sugar-spice mixture all over the chops on both sides.
Bake the Pork Chops
- Bake for 15 minutes until the pork reaches 135 degrees F.
- Remove from oven, and set the oven to broil. Move the rack to the second highest slot.
Broil the Pork Chops
- Baste the chops in Head Country hot and spicy sauce, coating both sides.
- Add the pecans around the pork, and place under the broiler.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, flip the pork chops.
- Return to the oven and broil another 2 to 4 minutes, until sauce is tacky and pork chops temp at 140F.
- Let rest, covered, for 5 minutes. The pork should rise to 145F while resting.
- Place the pecans in a small bowl.
Make the Quick Spicy Pecans
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan whisk together the brown sugar, salt, and cayenne with the jalapeno-infused olive oil and water.
- Set over medium heat until the sugar just begins to bubble.
- Add the pecans that you toasted with the pork chops and stir to coat.
- Allow the brown sugar to just bubble as you stir the pecans to coat.
- Turn them out onto parchment paper in a single layer.
- The pecans will quickly become tacky.
- Once they are dry, give them a rough chop.
- Plate the oven-baked pork chops with desired sides and garnish with the chopped pecans and minced parsley.
Sign up to save all your favorite recipes!Yay, you saved!