Easy tacos – now those are two words that never get turned down and these are one of my favorites. Shredded juicy chicken in a delicious chipotle broth with just a pop of spice. The perfect recipe for taco night or any night!
This post was sponsored by Head Country Bar-B-Q Sauce. All thoughts and opinions are my own. And yes, I do love tacos.
How to make Instant Pot chipotle chicken tacos
This is one of those incredibly easy meals. As the case with most instant pot recipes, dinner is on the table in 30 minutes with time to set the placemats and silverware out to spare. The broth is filled with savory flavors and the hint of spice really melds deliciously with the tender chicken making them some of the best chicken tacos or even a great base for a twist on chicken tortillas soup.
Is it ok to put frozen chicken in an Instant Pot?
Sure, you can put raw chicken right in the cooker, along with all the ingredients. But, did you know that you can also place frozen chicken right into the pressure cooker too and it makes perfectly shredded chicken?
Yep, actually, the steamy high-pressure environment is great for a lot of meats right from frozen. So you never have to worry if you pulled something out to thaw in time for dinner. That’s right, you can be a dinner hero every night and no one will know just how on the fly things really were.
Mainly cuz, once you have the chicken the rest is pantry staples.
What you need for instant pot chicken tacos:
Chicken, Head Country Chipotle BBQ Sauce, canned roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, cumin, garlic, and onion. You can even use freeze-dried garlic and onion. Or powdered garlic and powdered onion. Told you these were all pantry staples. (Also, it’s tacos, the rules are made up as you go).
The only ingredient that I think is a must keep (besides the bbq sauce) is a squeeze of fresh lime at the end. The citrus really brightens the whole dish and adds a pop of flavor.
Swap chicken thighs for the breast meat:
If you don’t have chicken breasts on hand, you can swap for chicken thighs in this recipe. I actually love subbing chicken thighs in most cases, but it’s hard to find them bone-less. If you prefer thighs (or just enjoy saving some moolah on a cheaper cut) you can de-bone before placing in the instant pot OR just toss them in and remove the bones before serving.
If you are using bone-in thighs, just be sure to add a couple of extra minutes for cooking. Either way, they make great pulled chicken tacos.
Instant Pot chicken tacos vs Slow Cooker
Both of these devices are quintessential kitchen heroes when it comes to easy meals that feed the whole family and often can be substituted out for one another – the only difference is ….well, time. And to get Instant Pot chipotle chicken tacos more instantly… then you need a pressure cooker like an Instant Pot, but a slow cooker is all good too.
If you don’t have a pressure cooker, and still want to try these tacos, simply put everything in a slow cooker and set it on low for 5 to 6 hours. The chicken will shred perfectly.
Want more taco night inspo? Try some of my favorite recipes
If you’ve tried my this pulled chicken taco or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ALONG on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook and share your cooks with #girlcarnivore
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Pressure Cooker / Insta Pot
For the Shredded Chicken Filling:
- 1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- ½ Head Country Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 1 14 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ Onion chopped
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- ½ poblano pepper
- 3 tbsp canned diced green chiles drained
- 1 lime
For the Tacos
- Jalapenos sliced
- Avocado sliced
- Pickled red onion
- Fire-roasted corn
- Diced cherry tomatoes
Prep the chicken
- Place the chicken in the instant pot and toss with the Head County Bar-b-que sauce, fire-roasted tomatoes, broth, onion, garlic, poblano peppers, and canned chiles.
- Set the pressure cooker to 12 minutes and allow it to cook.
- When done, allow the steam to release naturally for 5 minutes before carefully releasing the remaining steam manually.
- With 2 forks, shred the chicken into small bite-sized pieces.
- Squirt the juice of one lime over the chicken and stir.
Assemble tacos and Serve
- Assemble your shredded chicken tacos by using a slotted spoon to drain additional juices from the chicken before filling tortillas.
- Top with desired toppings like sliced jalapenos, avocados, pickled red onion, crumbled fresh cotija, fire-roasted corn kernels, and cherry tomatoes.
- Drizzle additional chipotle BBQ sauce over top if you’re feeling feisty.
- If you don’t have chicken breasts, chicken thighs work perfectly in this recipe as well.
- Forgot to thaw the chicken? Cook right from frozen! Just be sure to add 5 more minutes to the pressure cooker time.
- If you open your pressure cooker and find the chicken not easily shredded, shut the lid and cook for another 4 minutes.