Chicken enchilada tacos are the answer to leftover Chicken. Turkey? Meat of any kind? No problem. Just go with what you have. But try these Enchilada Nachos. Cheesy, crunchy, and packed with flavor.
Sharing will not be an option. So get it while you can.
Making chicken enchilada tacos with leftovers
Every now and then I open the fridge to find a pile of leftovers staring me down and a lack of creativity sparking any amazing ideas. And then I remember, it’s the good recipes with messy melty cheesy and hot sauce that really really make a good night.
Those nights when plates and forks be damned, just put a trivet on the communal table and dig in. No double dipping in the salsa though.
No one likes a double dipper.
What exactly is an enchilada anyway?
An enchilada is a selection of ingredients rolled into a corn tortilla. Typically, that means some nice Mexican cheese like queso blanco or queso fresco. Those are the cheeses typically used in your favorite Mexican restaurants.
Enchiladas might also include roasted jalepeno peppers and a variety of meats like shredded beef or pork, chicken or turkey.
Can I use burritos instead of enchiladas?
Ok, yes, the two are related. Burritos come wrapped in flour instead of corn though. Technically, you could substitute the enchiladas for burritos. However it might be better if the burrito is done chimichanga style.
That simply means it was deep fried after being rolled up. The advantage would be not worrying about the flour tortilla just turning mushy in the nachos.
Enchilada recipes to use for your nachos
I have a few enchilada recipes you can try for this recipe. Take your pick. You really can’t lose with any of them.
- Weeknight chicken enchiladas
- Breakfast enchiladas
- Pulled pork enchiladas
- Halibut enchiladas
- Ground beef enchiladas
If you’ve tried my Chicken Enchilada Nachos recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
Chicken Enchilada Nachos
- Large cast iron skillet
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken Any shredded or ground meat works too
- 2 garlic cloves minced garlic, the finer the better
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 ½ cup sharp cheddar and pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 14 oz can refried beans Use black or pinto per your choice.
- 4 cups tortilla chips You can use more or less chips per choice
- 1 jalapeno peppers scallions, sour cream, salsa and any other toppings you want
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large oven proof skillet, heat the chicken with the garlic and enchilada sauce.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and spoon the chicken mixture into a bowl and keep warm.
- Spoon the refried beans into the skillet.
- Arrange layers of chips, chicken mixture, and cheese in a pile over top.
- Place in the oven and cook until the cheese is melted and the beans are heated through.
- Switch to broil if you want the cheese a little brown and bubbly.
- Serve with desired toppings and additional dippers.