Fun fact: May is #NationalBurgerMonth and get pumped because I went even bigger than ever for my annual celebration of burgers. This year’s GirlCarnivore #BurgerMonth we have over 40 bloggers participating in an over the top burger celebration like no other. I may have recently dubbed myself the Oprah of Burgers – on a one-woman mission to give every reader a burger. You and you and you! Burgers for all. I love burgers so much while rally the talented bloggers for this event, Facebook’s amazing algorithms would often translate my text from “Burgers” to “Citizens” making me feel like I had a slight chance at a political career someday bringing the joy of burgers to the entire country.
Right now, I am doing just that in my own way with a HUGE month long giveaway for all of my burger loving friends! What kind of burger celebration would this be if we weren’t inspiring you to get creative in your own back yard! A major thank you to American Lamb Board, Cabot Cheese, Cassabella, Certified Angus Beef, Char-Broil Grills, CuttingBoard.Com, Dreamfarm, Grill Master Club, KitchenIQ, and Swissmar for the amazing opportunities all month long for a serious grilling package!
And check out the PRIZES!
- American Lamb Board – (4) ALB prize boxes 5 lbs of ground lamb, an apron and a meat thermometer
- Cabot Cheese – (4) Cabot Cheese Legacy Gift Box – 2 each Farmhouse Reserve, White Oak & Alpine Cheddar – 1 each New York Vintage & Seriously Sharp & 1 Wine Bottle Opener
- Cassabella – Week 3 – 1 Chop ‘N Prep™ Cutting Board with 4 Cutting Mats
- Certified Angus Beef – (4) CAB prize grilling accessory kit, $50 VISA card, and a George Motz Hamburger America cookbook.
- Char-Broil – (4) Char-Broil Performance 780 Charcoal Grill
- Cowboy Charcoal – (4) Hardwood Lump Charcoal, a variety of wood chips and some of Cowboy’s new BBQ sauces.
- Cuttingboard.com – (4) Olive Wood Carver Board
- Dreamfarm – Week 2 – Big Vebo
- Grill Master Club Subscription Grilling Box – (4) curated grill sample boxes
- KitchenIQ -Week 1 – V-etched Container Grater
- Swissmar – Week 4 – Glow 7PC Fondue Set
With new burger recipes going up every single day there is no reason not to enter! We can kick this summer grilling season off with a serious bang. For details on how to enter, scroll down!
Follow me on Snapchat (@ PasstheSushi ) and Instagram all month long for behind the scenes burger love while I hunt out the BEST local burgers for #NationalBurgerMonth! I even have a FOOD TRUCK RALLY happening right in the parking lot of Captain Blue Hen Comics on Main Street in Newark where I challenged the chef’s to step up to my #burgermonth challenge!
The inaugural burger to kick off #BurgerMonth 2016 is my Bison Burger with Maple Brussels Sprouts Slaw. The brussles sprouts slaw was one of the best I have made yet and with the bbq sauce, bacon and sharp cheddar… this may be my new go-to burger recipe.
Kicking #BurgerMonth off strong with the Bison Burger with Maple Brussels Sprouts Slaw
For the Brussels Slaw
- 3 cups shaved brussels sprouts
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 Grannysmith apple diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs mayo
- 1 tbs real maple syrup
For the Burger
- 8 slices apple wood smoked thick cut bacon cooked
- 4 bison burgers*
- sharp cheddar cheese
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw lettuce, onion, tomato for topping
- Apple wood smoked BBQ Sauce
- Brioche Bun buttered and toasted
- Toss the shaved sprouts, onion and apple in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Mix the Dijon, vinegar, mayo and syrup in a bowl to combine. Pour over the sprout mix and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat the grill for medium-high heat when ready to use (use charcoal for that perfect burger flavor). Clean and oil your grate. Grill the bison burgers to 135-140 degrees F. Cover with cheese and let melt. Allow the burgers to rest while toasting the buns.
- Smear a dollop of mayo on each toasted bun and top with lettuce, onion and tomato. Place the burgers on top and place 2 slices of bacon on top. Pile on the slaw, finish it off with a spoon full of BBQ sauce and the bun topper.