Perhaps it was the strong beer that continued to fill our cups. Maybe it was the humid summer night that left our skin moist and sticky. It could have been the scent of the fire clinging to our clothes and sending up smoke into the air creating the private oasis in our tiny backyard. Or, that there is something about eating with your hands and getting a little messy with another person that is primal and reaches deep down to our core. It really winds down to these beer marinated steak fajitas being not only delicious, but perfect for an evening where you want to turn up the heat a bit.
Then again, maybe it was really just the beer.
- 1 lbs flank or skirt steak trimmed if needed
- 12 oz Stone Chipotle Pepper Beer
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- salt and pepper
- 3 red green, or orange bell peppers, seeded and sliced into 1/2" strips
- 1 large red onion sliced into 1/2" strips
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- flour tortillas
- salsa sour cream, avocado for topping
- In a bowl, combine the beer, garlic, and a heavy seasoning of salt and pepper. Pat the steak dry and place in a large resealable bag. Pour the marinade over, seal and let rest in fridge for 1 to 8 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium-high and clean grate.
- Toss the veggies with 2 tbs oil and season with alt and pepper. Arrange in a grill pan or with tongs, grill until tender and slightly charred in spots.
- Meanwhile, remove the steak from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Coat in remaining 1 tbs oil and grill 8 to 10 minutes flipping once half way through.
- Cover the steak with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.
- Serve with charred veggies, fresh salsa and other desired toppings.
- You can also heat the tortillas over the grill while the steak rests if desired.