This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy
Let me introduce you to the Smoked Bacon Wrapped BBQ Fatty. Yep. You read that right. And it’s the best thing you will grill this weekend!
This post was sponsored by Head Country. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
There’s not much that makes people more curious than the words bacon weave.
Take that and wrap it around a mac and cheese stuffed pork roll and it’s a return to childlike excitement.
What is a Smoked Fatty?
The BBQ Fatty has been around the scene for a while now and it’s quickly becoming a trend. Essentially, it’s a smoked sausage stuffed log.
Smoked Fatty’s are easy to make and fun. The hardest part is the bacon weave, and then you just layer it up.
Once you have mastered the bacon part, you can put your signature spin on them in a thousand different ways by seasoning the sausage or stuffing with anything.
What the fatty is filled with varies and I have seen everything from cheesesteak to burger fixings inside of them.
Use your favorite mac and cheese recipes to fill these. Whip out grandma’s meatloaf recipe. Make it spicy or sweet using hot sausage or breakfast sausage. Make a buffet of smoked fatty varieties for your next football game.
They are that easy.
And, true story, everyone loves them.
I used this smoked jalapeno mac and cheese recipe for my filling and doubled down on the peppery-zing with Apple Habanero Bar-B-Que Sauce.
True story, I should have made about 4 more of these. Because this batch was gone before I could go back for seconds.
Want more fun grill recipes for friends? Try some of my favorite recipes
- Slow smoked pork and beans
- Grilled Summer Pizza with Salami, Sweet Corn and Burrata
- IPA Pulled Pork Cheese Dogs
- Beginner Dry Rub Pork Rib
If you’ve tried my Smoked Bacon Wrapped BBQ Fatty recipe, or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
Smoked Bacon Wrapped BBQ Fatty Recipe
- 1 lbs bacon thick cut
- 1 lbs pork sausage
- 1 tbsp Head Country Apple Habanero Bar-B-Que Sauce
- 1 tbsp Head Country Original Seasoning
- 1 cup homemade creamy mac and cheese
To Make the Bacon Weave
- On a clean work surface, divide your bacon into 2 equal piles.
- Arrange half of the strips on your work surface, length to length, forming a square.
- Fold back every other strip of bacon
- Starting with the reserved half of bacon, lay a strip perpendicular across the square of bacon.
- Fold up the previously turned down strips to weave the first piece in place.
- Fold down the strips that you didn’t turn down in the last step (every other one). You should start to see the weave forming.
- Arrange the next slice of bacon across the square, folding the turned down strips atop to form the weave.
- Repeat these steps until all the bacon is used up, adjusting the length as needed.
For the BBQ Pork Filling:
- In a large bowl, combine the ground bacon sausage with the Apple Habanero Bar-B-Que sauce and Head Country Original Seasoning. Mix to combine.
- Press the bbq bacon sausage filling evenly over the bacon weave.
- Spoon the mac and cheese into the center of the pork, leaving a 1″ edge from the top and bottom.
- Starting with one edge, roll the entire BBQ fatty up, making sure the bacon weave comes with it.
- Pinch the edges together along the crease and both ends.
- Fold the bacon in on itself to secure.
- Sprinkle the remaining Head Country Original seasoning over the top.
Smoking the BBQ Fatty
- Start the smoker:
- Preheat the smoker to 225 F.
- Lay the bbq pork fatty, seam side down on the cooler side of your smoker.
- Cover and smoke until the internal temp of the pork reaches 165F and the bacon is crispy.
- Remove from the smoker and allow to cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving with additional bbq sauce for dipping.