Sausage with Roasted Cabbage and Butternut Squash Puree is about to be your new Whole 30 approved comfort food obsession. And I am not even exaggerating on this one.
Whole 30 Comfort Food
Yep. It’s a thing.
I thought I knew comfort food. I thought I loved vegetables and was well rounded. I mixed my plates with an assortment of greens and starches, proteins and vitamins. I thought I had my bases covered with a love for all savory things. I even loved obscure veggies that my friends and families turned their noses up at.
And then I tasted roasted cabbage.
My mind was blown. I’d had cabbage in soup, shredded, stir-fried, baked. But roasted. Roasted may be the definitive way to eat all of the vegetables. Have a friend that doesn’t like cabbage? Throw an extra-firm head at them and kick them out because you are about to savor possibly the best way to eat cabbage.
Roasting cabbage, much like sprouts and squash, allows the vegetable to cook slowly, softening even it’s tightly wrapped inner leaves. It caramelizes the outside and creates a gentle crunch that brings for flavors you never knew the same thing used for kraut could have. It’s not bitter or harsh. It’s just a little honeyed with a rich punch. It is perfection and it will see many many side dishes for my comfort food season. (And then when that season is over, I’m going to grill it).
One Pan. Fewer Dishes.
This is a simple dish, with one pan to roast the sausage and cabbage. The butternut squash puree is a bonus. You could also serve this with traditional mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, roasted potatoes or even whipped cauliflower if you are feeling brave.
Check out a few of my essential Whole 30 Supplies, or hop over to my Amazon store for everything I stock up on to WIN whole 30!
NEED MORE WHOLE30 INSPIRATION? CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES:
- Enchilada Stuffed Smoked Poblano Peppers
- Sausage with Roasted Cabbage and Butternut Squash Puree
- Paleo Sesame Tuna Bowls
- Grilled Harissa Avocado Baked Eggs
WHOLE30 APPROVED Sausage with Roasted Cabbage and Butternut Squash Puree
If you’ve tried my Whole30 Approved Sausage with Roasted Cabbage Recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
- Preheat the oven to 450.
- Slice the cabbage into wedges. Arrange in the center of a large foil lined baking tray.
- Core, remove seeds and cut the butternut squash in half. Arrange on either side of the cabbage.
- Drizzle olive oil over the cabbage and squash. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes; Flip the cabbage, nestle the sausages into the pan and roast for 20 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, whisk the mustard, mayo, coconut aminos, salt and pepper, with the melted ghee in a small bowl to make the sauce.
- Carefully scoop the roasted squash from the skin and puree with ghee.
- Serve the cabbage wedges and sausages over the butternut squash with a drizzle of the mustard sauce and fresh thyme or toasted caraway seeds.