This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy
This recipe for Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Salad is a fresh spin on the summertime classic. Loaded with crispy fresh veggies and herbs, it’s sure to be a light healthy favorite.
This post was sponsored by Wild Garden to highlight their delicious Taste of the Mediterranean line – which is actually pretty yummy – and that part I wasn’t paid to say.
Fun fact; Cold noodles and heavy mayo based salads have freaked me out since childhood. Weird.
Yeah, I know.
I’m learning to get over it, and have come to really enjoy a few. But for the most part, the heavy picnic traditions are a wash to me, as I would rather chow down on a grilled hot dog and skip the sides.
Now that I do 99.9% of my own cooking, I have come up with a few summer standbys, like this easy broccoli salad, or this crazy good tortellini salad, that have become my go so pot-luck staples, but I am still always developing things that I can bring along.
Now, the exception to the mayo-based salad rule for me has to be chicken salad. I don’t think I had it until I was well into my late teens and I kind of fell in love with the creamy mix of chicken and onions. We kept it pretty basic, celery, peppers, salt and that sort of thing, tossed with some cooked chicken.
Wild Garden has been playing around with some flavors in their own test kitchen too and sent me a sample box to try out. The feature was Taste of the Mediterranean, and I discovered a Persian, Shawarma, and Turkish Marinade alongside microwavable Bulgur, Couscous, and Rice with Lentils. Immediately I thought it would be fun to toss these flavors together with tons of produce and create something light like the meals I have had while hitting roadside stands in my travels and lighten up that grilled chicken salad.
The flavors in the pre-made marinades were perfect! And took me right back to some of my favorite travel eats with the fresh pop of distinctive herbs, garlic, and tomatoes. A wonderful balance of the charred lemons, crispy veggies, and grilled chicken. I ended up with a light airy recipe, loaded with produce, that is healthy, and perfect for the upcoming plethora of outdoor grill parties.
I’d say what I threw together was crazy delicious! With quick and easy ingredients too. And it will most certainly be added to my growing rotation of updated picnic classics.
Mediterranean Grilled Chicken SaladPrint Pin Rate
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package Wild Garden Persian Marinade
- 3 lemons divided
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 red pepper stem and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 orange pepper stem and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 green pepper stem and seeds removed, chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1/2 pint mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 14.5 oz can artichoke hearts quartered, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teas oregano
- 1/4 teas basil
- 1/4 teas red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teas cardamom
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 package Wild Garden Couscous
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- Few sprigs fresh parsley oregano, and thyme, minced for garnish
- Bib lettuce or Pita for serving
- Pat the chicken dry and place in a resealable container, coating the Wild Garden Persian Marinade. Cover and place in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- When ready to grill, clean the grates and allow the grill to heat.
- Grill the chicken over indirect heat until an instant read thermometer reads 160 flipping once halfway through.
- Wrap in foil and allow to rest, allowing the temp to rise to 165.
- Meanwhile, slice two lemons in half and char over the flame. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, toss the onion, peppers, celery, mushrooms, artichoke hearts and olives in a large bowl.
- When the chicken has cooked, give it a rough chop and mix it in with the vegetables. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Whisk the oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, cardamom together in a small bowl. Squeeze in the juice from one lemon and add the olive oil. Stir to combine.
- Cook the Wild Garden Couscous according to the package. And toss into the salad. Mix to combine.
- Sprinkle with feta, and garnish with fresh minced herbs like parsley, thyme or oregano.
- Arrange the fresh chicken salad on a platter with the charred lemon wedges. Serve with bib lettuce or pita pockets for serving as edible cups.
Hey, I’m Kita, the Meat Maven, outdoor junkie, campfire connoisseur, adventure-seeking and world traveled recipe developer and photographer behind GirlCarnivore.com. My mission is to break down savory eats and inspire you to get a little grit under your nails while having fun with your food. READ MORE