This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy
Soup. It can be so boring. Sure, it’s healthy, packed with nutrients and all that mambo jumbo. But, it’s also so packed with sodium and decomposing noodles that turn to mush on your tongue. Sure, the picture on the can looks amazing and every thing sounds good. The calorie count is printed in big numbers so you feel like you’re being healthy. And yet. Always disappointed. Yeah, soup and I don’t get along very well. (If anyone cares enough, I give it three weeks before there’s at least 1 or two soup recipes on here and you can be like, ‘hey Kita! you’re a liar. You said you don’t like soup.’ You’d be right.)
Stew on the other hand. Thick and hearty. Stick to your ribs. Forget about counting those calories – that’s crazy science anyway. There’s magic in there that makes it thick and filling. This takes chicken noodle soup and punches in the face with the flavor stick. No more bland over salted soup. Just sweet and spicy awesomeness headed towards ya with fresh snow peas and a blast of curry.
Chicken noodle soup just met it’s big brother.
Thai Chicken Stew
- 1 lbs carrots peeled and sliced into 1/4" cubes
- 2 onions minced
- 2 jalapeno chiles stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbs minced fresh ginger
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 stalk lemon grass bottom chunk only, bruised
- 1/4 cup Minute tapioca
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- 2 tbs fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbs fish sauce warning, don't sniff it
- 1 tbs Thai green curry paste
- 1 tbs light brown sugar
- 8 oz snow peas trimmed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or cilantro
- Limes wedges for serving
- In a medium, microwave safe bowl, microwave the carrots, onion, peppers, garlic, ginger and 2 tbs of vegetable oil for 8 to 10 minutes. Stop often to stir. Pour veggies into slow cooker.
- Stir the broth, lemon grass, and tapioca into the slow cooker with the veggies. Sprinkle the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and place in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place in a large bowl. With two forks, pull into bite sized pieces.
- Skim the surface of the stew for any fat with a large slotted spoon.
- Heat the coconut milk in a microwave, stirring often, for 3 minutes, or until heated through. Mix in the lime juice, fish sauce, curry paste, and brown sugar. Stir into the stew.
- In a bowl, steam the snow peas with the remaining 1 tbs vegetable oil in the microwave until tender, about 5 minutes. Return the shredded chicken and snow peas to the slow cooker.
- Stir in basil or cilantro and serve with fresh lime wedges.
Hey, I’m Kita, the Meat Maven, outdoor junkie, campfire connoisseur, adventure-seeking and world traveled recipe developer and photographer behind GirlCarnivore.com. My mission is to break down savory eats and inspire you to get a little grit under your nails while having fun with your food. READ MORE