This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy
Gather round. It’s time to start dishing out some big family style breakfasts that can fuel you through the cold days ahead. There is a lot to be done. From tree hunting to candle lighting this is the season for non-stop family entertaining. Hosting, wrapping, cleaning, cooking. It’s a lot to juggle on top of the normal 9 to 5. So, even with that near by pile of cookies staring you down, remember, the most important meal of the day is all about eating right, and eating well. Don’t let that sugar rush send you into fits of manic hyperdrive. Keep your cool and dish out this hearty sweet and spicy sausage hash to kick the day off right.
My friends over at Farmland hooked me up with an array of hearty little breakfast sausages to test out for my holiday recipe creations. Now, these are the same guys the have a bacon club. A freaking BACON CLUB. And I already kind of sort of raved about that. Bacon is the candy of meats and all. It’s quick and easy. But there is something about breakfast sausage that I am a sucker for every single time.
So, when I started thinking about all the things I wanted to make for me and mine with this sausage I was quickly overwhelmed with ideas. First, plain jane eggs with sausage on the side is kind of a mans meal right there. Then theres a runny egg biscuit sandwich with a sausage patty shoved all up in the middle. Or breakfast tacos (might be coming soon on the site… just saying), that whole toad in the whole breakfast thing I’ve been dying to make, and a filling breakfast casserole or two. I got stuck on a sweet potato kick lately, and this hash sounded like a great way to use up product that may be lingering from Thanksgiving or other holiday feasts, and yet, totally switch up the flavors with a little south west kick from a bit of adobo sauce. The maple brings a touch of sweet and the avocado cream blends with my runny egg yolk in a heavenly blend of all things carnivore for breakfast.
How do you like your sausage?
Sweet and Spicy Sausage Hash with Chipotle Avocado Cream
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 4 sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 8 Farmland Sausage patties
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/4 teas red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teas fresh oregano finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 - 2 tbs maple syrup
- 8 eggs
for the Chipotle Avocado Cream
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbs milk
- 2 teas sauce from canned chipotles
- 2 scallions green part only, diced
- a sprinkle of red onion and pepper
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat until just smoking. Add the sweet potato and cook, 8 to 10 minutes, until starting to soften and brown a bit, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sausage and crumble into large bits as it browns. Cook about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the onion, pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano and season with salt and pepper. Cook until veggies are tender and sausage is cooked through.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the maple syrup to coat.
- Meanwhile, in another large skillet, fry your eggs to your liking to serve over top.
- Lastly, mash the avocado in a bowl with a fork. Stir in the sour cream, milk, and sauce. Adjust heat to your liking with more or less of the adobo sauce. Mix until combined and creamy. Spoon into a squeeze bottle to serve on top.
- Spoon the hash onto plates, top with an egg and Chipotle Avocado Cream. Garnish with scallions, red onion, and red pepper. Season with freshly black pepper to taste.