This Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Bagel Sandwich will have you excited to get out of bed in the morning. Perfectly toasted bagels are layered with crispy breakfast sausage, egg and veggie scramble, and melty cheese.
I’ll be honest…normally breakfast is not my friend. Why? Well first, it’s early. Who likes anything when it’s early? Second, it’s usually sugary and sweet, and not at all what I want first thing in the morning. And third, it’s not usually meat…which as we know is my kind of thing.
Well, this Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Bagel has turned me into a breakfast on the go person. And I’m not talking fast food here! These easy breakfast bagels come together as quickly as you can scramble an egg (and fry up some sausage), and it will leave you full all day long. These flavor bomb sandwiches are protein-packed, energizing, and so dang good.
What you need:
- Sausages – I use tomato basil sausages but feel free to use whatever zesty flavor you love.
- Olive Oil – you’ll need a little bit of oil to brown the sausages and sauté the veggies.
- Veggies – I use a simple combination of red pepper, green pepper, and onion. Feel free to add other veggies too if you like!
- Eggs – I like to scramble the egg with the veggies to create an all-in-one scramble.
- Cheese – use your favorite melty cheese! Try cheddar, Swiss, pepper jack, Havarti, provolone, American, gouda, you name it.
- Bagels – you can use whatever bagel you like best!
How to make this Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Bagels
Heat a cast-iron skillet, slice the sausage into ¼”-thick pieces, and cook until brown on both sides. Set aside and wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
Add oil to the same skillet, then add in the veggies and cook until tender. In a bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy. Add to the skillet and scramble. Remove from heat.
Place the bagel bottoms on sheets of aluminum foil. Top with scrambled eggs and veggies, then sausage and cheese. Top with the other half of the bagel, wrap in foil, then place in the toaster oven and toast until the bagel is softened and the cheese is melty.
Breakfast is served.
How to cook eggs for a breakfast sandwich
I like to scramble the eggs with the veggies for convenience, but if you prefer to fry your eggs and add them separately you can totally go that route too!
- Use bacon. Looking for a little extra crunch? Try adding crispy bacon! Who doesn’t love extra meat for breakfast?
- Sausage patties also work (go full on Jimmie Dean)
- Add avocado. Sliced avocado is a delicious addition to this breakfast sandwich.
- Use other veggies. You can easily cook more veggies with the onion and pepper to bulk it up even more. I love adding mushrooms, scallions, or spinach.
- Spice it up. Love a kick of heat? Drizzle the bagels with hot sauce or Sriracha!
Can these breakfast bagels be prepped ahead of time?
Honestly, I don’t recommend it. Once the sandwiches are assembled, they are best right away!
However, if you want to get ahead a little bit, you cook the veggie and egg scramble and fry up the sausage and store them separately in the fridge. They will last for up to 5 days. When you’re ready to enjoy, simply assemble the sandwiches and toast wrapped in foil. Keep in mind, they will take a little bit longer to cook through since the scramble and sausage will be cold.
More breakfast inspiration
If you’ve tried my Sausage Egg and Cheese Bagel recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Bagel
- 2 – 3 tomato basil sausages or zesty flavor of your choice
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup red pepper diced
- 1/8 cup green pepper diced
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 4 large eggs or extra large if you are feeling up to it
- 2 slices favorite cheese
- 2 bagels
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Slice the sausage into 1/4″ thick pieces and cook until brown on both sides. Set aside.
- Wipe out skillet with paper towel. Keep oven on.
- Add olive oil to skillet, swirl about. Add peppers and onions and cook for 5 minutes, until tender.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs until slightly frothy. Add to hot skillet and scramble. When set, remove from heat.
- Arrange bagels bottoms over sheets of aluminum foil. Place scrambled eggs with vegetables, on bottom, followed by sausage and cheese.
- Top with the other half and wrap in aluminum foil. Place in toaster oven and toast until bagel has softened and everything is good and melty. (really, that last part makes it epic).