Tired of staring down captain crunch after your morning workout? Try this Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Bagel Sandwich, because cereal just isn’t going to cut it.
Why I love this recipe
Because breakfast is not my friend.
First, it’s early. Who likes anything when it’s early? Second, it’s usually packed with super sweet sugary cartoon themed things. Not meat. Which as we know, is kind of my thing.
If you want a decent home-cooked meal, you either have to make it yourself (did I mention it was early, and you are most likely grumpy?) or go out (see previously mentioned note, oh and now you have to put on pants). So, a sugary rabbit with fruit flavor cavity causers it is.
Unless you get up and start making yourself these protein-packed energy bombs of flavor.
With a little (I’m talking 7 minutes of searing some sausage) prep work the night before, this comes together as quickly as you can scramble an egg and place it in the toaster oven, which isn’t nearly as complicated as fancy French toast. And it will leave you full all day long.
How to make Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Bagel Sandwich
First, you are going to slice your favorite sausage and cook in a skillet over medium heat until brown.
When the sausage is done, remove from the skillet and add 1 teaspoon virgin olive oil, some diced green peppers, and 1 medium diced onion.
In the meantime add in a bowl your eggs and whisk until frothy. Add the eggs in the skillet and scramble together with your peppers and onions.
Place your bagel’s bottoms over aluminum foil and place on top the scrambled eggs, the sausage, and your favorite cheese. Top with the other half and wrap in the foil.
Lastly, place in the toaster oven and toast until everything is hot & melty, which (in my opinion) is the best part.
Breakfast is served.
Tips & Variations
- Instead of sausage, you can use bacon. Fry the bacon in a skillet until crispy and then place it on top of the scrambled egg, add the cheese and toast your bagel sandwich.
- You can switch up the veggies in the scrambled eggs. Try mushrooms and scallions instead of green peppers and onions.
- Spice it up! Add some sriracha on the eggs for a hot kick.
Want more breakfast inspiration? Try some of my favorite recipes
- Smoked Chicken Chilaquiles
- Cheeseburger Omelette
- Spicy Chipotle Breakfast Hash
- Brown Sugar Chicken and Waffles
If you’ve tried my Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Bagel Sandwich recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Bagel
- 2 – 3 tomato basil sausages or zesty flavor of your choice
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ cup red pepper diced
- ⅛ cup green pepper diced
- ¼ cup onion diced
- 4 large eggs or extra large if you are feeling up to it
- 2 slices favorite cheese
- 2 bagels
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Slice the sausage into ¼″ thick pieces and cook until brown on both sides. Set aside.
- Wipe out skillet with paper towel. Keep oven on.
- Add olive oil to skillet, swirl about. Add peppers and onions and cook for 5 minutes, until tender.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs until slightly frothy. Add to hot skillet and scramble. When set, remove from heat.
- Arrange bagels bottoms over sheets of aluminum foil. Place scrambled eggs with vegetables, on bottom, followed by sausage and cheese.
- Top with the other half and wrap in aluminum foil. Place in toaster oven and toast until bagel has softened and everything is good and melty. (really, that last part makes it epic).