This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy
I am pretty sure I took the idea of a light healthy “bowl based” dinner and tossed it out the window. Clearly, no one has ever seen just how much fuel and flavor I can shove into one bowl.
Healthy bowls have kind of been a trend lately. Small meals loaded with all sorts of healthy add-ons from quinoa to black beans. Clearly, no one has ever seen just how much I can shove into one bowl. Because, I am pretty sure I took the idea of a light healthy dinner and tossed it out the window. Sure, this isn’t a double down at the Taco Bell drive-through, but this Salsa Chicken Bowl certainly makes clean eating look good.
Damned good. And that’s just how I want to do it.
Looking for more bowls that actually have substance? A meal you can bite into? Yeah, I figured as much. Check these out.
- Korean Beef Bowls
- Chorizo Hash Breakfast Bowl with Chipotle Cream
- Grilled Chimichurri Steak Potato Power Bowl
- Roasted Roots and Chicken Power Bowl with Maple Dipping Aioli
If you’ve tried my Salsa Chicken Bowls Recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
- 1 large chicken breast
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teas Tobasco sauce
- 1 cup brown or white rice cooked
- 1 cup fresh romaine lettuce chopped
- black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup red onion minced
- a few queso crumbles
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil and swirl to coat pan. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in skillet to cook. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until golden and cooked through on both sides. Remove the chicken from the skillet, cover, and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the salsa, sour cream, and Tobasco. Turn off the heat, but leave the pan over the burner, and stir to combine.
Build your bowls! Pile the lettuce in the bottom of each bowl. Spoon a bit of rice in each and top with black beans.
- Slice the chicken and divide between bowls. Pour any collected juice into the bowl. Top with salsa mix, avocado, red onion, and queso.
Hey, I’m Kita, the Meat Maven, outdoor junkie, campfire connoisseur, adventure-seeking and world traveled recipe developer and photographer behind GirlCarnivore.com. My mission is to break down savory eats and inspire you to get a little grit under your nails while having fun with your food. READ MORE