This Garlic and Steak Strata is a hearty breakfast. Filled with meaty goodness and packed with protein, it is perfect for after a morning run.
It takes more than a smoothie to keep this girl going all day long. More than a shake of slim powder or magic oats that are supposed to leave me full and satisfied until a light sensible lunch. Right. None of that sticks on me in a way that doesn’t have me going full on green Hulk at the vending machine before most people have checked Facebook for the newest viral cat video.
No, I need fuel. Real food. Lean mean protein, and piles of it. A hearty breakfast made of eggs is the only thing that doesn’t leave me feeling like I’m going to chew my arm off after a run in the morning and hours before the lunch bell rings. Whether it’s a simple fried egg with avocado for when I am trying to appease the fitness gods or this weekend binge of leftovers and cheese. It’s what I am begging for to get the morning rolling right. Eggs. Simple, packed with protein, designed by nature.
You can argue their merits all day long, (oh, the cholesterol war) but eggs are where it’s at in the top-tier of good for you foods. No, I am not telling you to indulge on egg yolks while enjoying other artery clogging fat laden foods. But for smart meals, eggs are one of the most inexpensive power foods you can get your hands on. So grab a dozen and wilt some spinach along side this. Call it a fancy pants savory sort of brunch or dinner.
Sit back and see just how long this recipe stays on the table.
If you’ve tried my Garlic and Steak Strata recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram@girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
- 1 tbs olive oil divided
- 4 slices of hearty white bread cut into 1" cubes
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup half and half
- salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup leftover steak chopped
- 3 oz shredded Blarney Castle Cheese
- 2 scallions chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and half and half until pale yellow and smooth. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
- Toast the bread chunks until light brown on all side.
- Slide the bread to the edges of the skillet and toss in the chopped steak and garlic. Cook one minute until fragrant.
- Carefully pour in the eggs.
- Allow to cook a minute and then slide a rubber spatula along the bottom a few times to break up any curds forming.
- Cook 3 to 5 minutes, running a spatula through the whole time.
- Allow to cook another 3 minutes untouched. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- With an oven glove, carefully slide the skillet into the oven and bake for 7 to 10 minutes. The eggs will be puffy and lightly golden on the edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 - 10 minutes before turning out onto a serving tray.
- Sprinkle with sliced scallions.
Want another great egg recipe for a hungry crowd?