There is something about having a burger piled high with slaw that is entirely Magical. These will not disappoint.
Oh smack. This Carolina Burger is long overdue. It’s halfway through summer and I haven’t even burned through my second tank of propane. What gives? I thought it would be burger-palooza up in here by now and I would be so sick of shopping for interesting buns to photograph that I would be begging for cold disgusting weather to keep me trapped indoors and polishing my skills with the old George Foreman.
Not the case. We’re going to change that. This is Girl freakin Carnivore. We need at least one slide that belt buckle burst the button on the pants burger a month. At least.
Sometimes, we might even have two.
If You’re inspired by the Carolina Burger, Check out some of my favorite Burger Creations!
- Short Rib Burgers with Lemongrass & Fennel Slaw
- Zesty Pimento Cheeseburger
- Harissa Butter Stuffed Lamb Burgers
- Smoked Blueberry Raclette Burgers
If you’ve tried my Carolina Burger with Mustard BBQ Sauce and Green Onion Slaw Recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
Carolina Burgers with Mustard BBQ Sauce and Green Onion Slaw
Mustard Barbecue Sauce
- Mustard Barbecue Sauce Wont lie, tried this, threw it away and went for a bottled version of a mustard base sauce I had in the pantry
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 teas kosher salt
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ teas fresh ground black pepper
Green onion Slaw
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green onions white and green parts
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 serrano chiles stemmed and seeded
- 2 tbs mayo
- ¼ cup olive oil
- kosher salt
- ½ head purple cabbage shredded
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh snipped cilantro
- 1 ½ lbs 80% ground chuck
- salt and pepper
- 4 hamburger buns split and toasted
- To make the sauce: Whisk together the mustard sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Bring to room temp before using.
- To make the slaw: Pulse the green onions, vinegar, water, chiles, mayo, and oil in a food processor or blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the cabbage and red onion with dressing. Fold in the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper as needed (I always wait at least 1 hour after tossing the cabbage to add additional seasoning). Let come to room temp for 15 minutes before using.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Clean and prep grill grate.
- Divide the beef into 4 equal portions. Press into patties and using your thumb, make an indention in the center of each. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Cook burgers, flipping once 7-10 minutes, basting with the mustard sauce during the last minute of cooking.
- Serve burgers on toasted rolls with additional sauce and a pile of slaw.