It’s winter and where some people are prepping for resolutions and goals, I am prepping some sweaters. Some big fat baggy sweaters. You know why? Because pasta is delicious. Pasta slathered in cheese, even better. Pasta slathered in cheese and loaded with zesty chorizo sausages… now we’re talking. Yeah, so get your bikini body. Forfeit a season of indulgent comfort food. I get it, skinny feels damned good. But you know what, fat and happy is pretty damned rewarding too.
Bust out the sweat pants if you’re coming along with me. It’s going to get cozy up in here.
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced into 1/4 – 1/2″ pieces
- 1 lbs chorizo sausage removed from casings
- 1/2 pepper chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 6 to 8 oz whole wheat pasta
- 1/2 cup Velveeta
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teas chipotle in adobo sauce – sauce only
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups spinach
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, coat the pan with the vegetable oil until just smoking. Add the sweet potatoes and cook until brown on all sides. Add the sausage and break into bite sized chunks while cooking, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the onions, peppers, and mushrooms, and continue to cook until soft,
- Meanwhile, prepare the pasta according to the directions on the box.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the Velveeta, cheddar and milk; Stirring to combine. Add the adobo sauce and salsa and mix.
- Combine the drained al dente pasta, cheese sauce and sausage mixture in one pan. Toss in the spinach and mix while wilting to combine.