This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy
Tell me honey and fig mac and cheese doesn’t sound like it needs to be rolled around with some carbs and finished up off with a little bourbon on top.
Every now and then you have to forget about the paper plates and paper towels and whip out the real dishes, light some candles, and turn up the Stevie Nicks. Bow chick-a-wow-wow. Nights like these usually follow a daring purchase at the market. Something that hops itself into the cart, like fancy honey and fig cheese, that inspires an whole new recipe to impress (Or to just be reminded it’s not Velveeta… ). Tell me honey and fig mac and cheese doesn’t sound like it needs to be rolled around with some carbs and finished up off with a little bourbon on top.
That’s right, fancy cheese and bourbon. Somebody’s getting lucky tonight.
Bourbon Braised Short Ribs with Honey and Fig Mac and Cheese
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 - 3 lbs bone in short ribs
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 1/3 cup honey bourbon
- 1 tbs honey
- 1/3 cup beef stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 lbs dried pasta
- 3 tbs butter
- 3 tbs flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 oz honey and fig cheese go on, buy that fancy stuff - or substitute with chopped figs or a tbs of fig perserves
- 6 oz chevre
- 1 tbs worchestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a braiser or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper on all sides. and place in the braiser. Add the onions. Brown he short ribs on all sides. Deglaze the pan with the bourbon. Stir in the honey and beef stock.
- Put the lid on the braiser and carefully place in the oven. Cook for 45 minutes, remove the lid and cook 20 minutes longer – or until short ribs shred easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to manufactures direction. Drain and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the cream and milk. Stir in the cheese until melted through. Add the Worcestershire sauce.
- Shred the short ribs; discard the bones. Add the prepared pasta and cheese sauce to the the braiser or Dutch oven if large enough for everything. Toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper as needed.