Burgers aren’t just about how much you can shove between two perfect buns. Sometimes, they are about laying it all out too and seeing just how creative you can be.
Burgers aren’t just about how much you can shove between two perfect buns. Sometimes, they are about laying it all out too and seeing just how creative you can be. With grill season full-on (when is it not?) this healthy Southwest Chicken Burger is a fun alternative to taco night or just another naked patty on the grill.
I am a fan of beef burgers, plain and simple, but for the sake of health trends and a little bacon overindulgence, chicken or turkey burgers act as my buffer of sorts. They make me feel like I have earned a health award. It’s as close as I’ll probably ever get to my Meatless Monday Badge of honor. So, I’ll take them. Plus with this much going on, they aren’t hurting for flavor either.
Open-faced and fork fun for all.
Looking for some more ways to make chicken and bread come together in poultry perfection? These will help.
- Quick Fried Chicken Sandwiches
- Campfire Grilled Chicken Panini
- Chicken Parmesan Subs
- Zesty Ranch BBQ Bacon Chicken Quesadilla
If you’ve tried my Southwest Chicken Burger Recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup crushed restaurant style tortilla chips
- 3 tbs green pepper diced
- 3/4 teas chili powder
- 1/4 teas salt
- 1/4 teas ground black pepper
- 1 lbs ground chicken
- 4 slices Texas toast
- Salsa and pickled onions for topping
- Preheat your grill for medium heat. Clean and oil the grill grate.
- Combine the eg with the tortillas, pepper, chili powder, salt, pepper and chicken. Mix well to combine. Using your hands, shape the chicken mixture into 4 large patties about 3/4″ thick.
- Grill the chicken burgers for 14 to 18 minutes, flipping once halfway through cook time, or until 165 degrees F and cooked through. Allow to rest in foil for 5 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Texas Toast according to package.
- Serve the burgers open faced over the Texas toast with a healthy slathering of guac and some additional crushed tortillas, fresh salsa, and pickled red onion.