Enjoy sweet and savory in one bite with these crazy delicious and incredibly easy to make ginger lime sticky wings recipe!
Sticky wings are a go-to favorite at bar tops, but what about at home for the next game day menu? It seems that chicken wings, while incredibly easy to make, aren’t something I often create at home. I had to pause and wonder why.
With chicken wings often going on sale for a reasonable price at the market, and it being the right season for game day menus with lots of messy finger foods, I decided it was time to create a sticky wings recipe the balanced out spicy and savory without being just another wing recipe.
To create that signature ‘sticky’ sauce, I went with a quick sauce to marinate and baste the chicken in, and tried both grilling and baking to see what produced the best chicken wings.
For these wings, I wanted something sweet to offset the hot sauce and soy sauce, so I chose corn syrup to help thicken and create that signature sticky wing sauce, and to balance out the sweet and savory on this easy wing recipe.
To grill or bake sticky wings
I tested these sticky wings out both on the grill and in a hot oven. The grill produced a drier texture on the skin, with that classic grilled char. Using Karo® Syrup in the marinade actually helps because normal sugar would burn from the heat over a grill.
When finished grilling, I brushed the wings with the reserved marinade to add the flavor back in. The wings were amazing, but lacked the ‘sticky’ that I wanted.
For the baked version, I arranged the marinated chicken wings on a baking rack under 400 degree heat. The chicken wings cooked evenly and remained sticky, but the skin didn’t get the same texture as with grilling.
After baking, I quickly tossed the wings again in the reserved sauce.
Both produced great wings and will be a matter of personal choice and ease. If you have a grill handy, I say use it. But on the days when a grill isn’t an option, the oven did just as well.
What to serve with chicken wings
Chicken wings are fun finger food. These, in particular, go great with simple white rice and sliced scallions. However, for a game day menu, I would bake up some Furikake Fries, some bacon-wrapped chorizo-stuffed jalapeno poppers, and maybe even some slow cooker meatballs so that everyone could pile up their plates.
I’d also make sure to have ample napkins laying around. Just cuz.
Want more fun game day inspiration? Try some of my favorite recipes
If you’ve tried my Ginger Lime Sticky Wings Recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
- 1 cup Karo® Light Syrup
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ½ cup hot sauce
- 2 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 5 lbs chicken wings
- Scallions, cilantro or fresh lime wedges for garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk the Karo® Syrup, soy sauce, hot sauce, ginger, and lime juice. Reserve 1 ½ cup in a small pot.
- Toss the chicken in the bowl and coat to cover. Store in a resealable bag and allow to marinate for 2 to 4 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the bowl and arrange on baking sheets.
- Cook for 20 - 25 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165 with an instant read thermometer.
- Meanwhile, over medium-low heat, bring the reserved sauce to a simmer. Stir often and allow the sauce to thicken.
- Remove from heat. Remove the chicken from the oven and in a clean bowl, toss with half of the reserved sauce, making sure all sides of the chicken are coated.
- Place the chicken on a serving platter and spoon the remaining sauce over top.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro or scallions and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 807Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 186mgSodium: 2700mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 41g