Nothing sparks random celebration quite like taco night (or tequila night… I don’t judge). With a plethora of easy fresh build your own toppings and the pile of perfectly seasoned meat drawing us in with it’s sweetly scented sirens song, the taco is a work of 100% custom art. Hand made for each person. At least around my table, mainly because I am too lazy to be making everyone their own dang taco.
We love tacos, but hate how quickly the meat gets cold when served in a skillet. This slow cooker version is a great way to serve a big meal and not worry if someones going to have to 'nuk their taco by the time they go back for seconds.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 lbs ground turkey
- 1 15 oz can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cup favorite salsa
- 1 1.25 oz packet low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 teas brown sugar
- 1 teas cumin
- dash of smoked paprika
- 2 teas chipotle hot sauce
- Tortilla shells and fixings (shredded lettuce, sour cream, cheese, onion, pepper, cilantro and more)
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat to coat the pan. Add the ground turkey and brown, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray and add the ground turkey, beans, salsa, taco seasoning, sugar, cumin, paprika, and hot sauce if desired. Stir well (you may need to add a splash of water just to evenly coat everything). Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- When ready to fiesta, serve family style with fixings so that everyone can build their own tacos.
BHG Magazine Skinny Slow Cooker