The next time you are grilling for a crowd, make these spicy grilled ancho chicken thighs and see who misses the traditional barbecue fare.
Punch grilled chicken in the face with flavor by giving it a nice rub down with a sweet and spicy tequila sauce. I use an ancho rub and chicken thighs because they stay moist and hold their deliciousness for the long grill while absorbing a hint of that smoky flavor we all love.
Over a grilled veggie salad with brown rice, this may just be the perfect summertime supper in between those hot dogs and hamburgers. I may even be bold and say it’s healthy. The next time you are grilling for a crowd, make this and see who misses the traditional barbecue fare…
Hint: don’t invite that person back.
Don’t ever let your chicken be bland and boring! Check these up to spice up your life!
- Smoked Chicken Chilaquiles
- Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken Thighs
- Buttermilk Brined Grilled Chicken Wings
- Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs
- Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Chicken
- Jerk Chicken
If you’ve tried my Grilled Chicken Thighs with Ancho Rub Recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
Grilled Chicken Thighs with Ancho Rub
- 1 tbs ancho chile powder
- 1 1/2 teas sugar
- 1 1/2 teas garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teas cumin
- 1 1/2 teas black pepper
- 3/4 teas salt
- 2 1/2 lbs bone-in chicken thighs skin removed
- 1 1/2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tbs agave syrup
- 3 tbs tequila
- 1 1/2 tbs hot sauce
- 1 1/2 tbs butter
- 1 1/2 tbs freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teas crushed red pepper flakes
- Cilantro and lime for garnish
- Preheat your grill and clean your cooking grate. Turn off or lower the heat on one side of the grill (you know your grill best) and arrange the wood chips in a small aluminum pan over the burner that is still on. Allow the chips to sit for 15 minutes over the heat.
- Mix the chile powder, sugar, garlic, cumin, pepper, and salt in a bowl. Toss the chicken thighs with the oil. Sprinkle with the spice mix and rub all over the chicken thighs.
- In a small saucepan, whisk the agave, tequila, hot sauce, butter, lime juice, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture has reduced to 1/2 cup, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove 3 tbs of the sauce.
- Carefully oil the grill grate. Brush the chicken with the sauce and grill 15 minutes over the indirect heat. Flip, brush with remaining sauce, and continue to grill 15 minutes. Finish off over direct heat for 5 minutes to sear. Remove from heat and rest before serving.