Give me a pile of sweet and savory and you are talking my language. I need a balance of both. Too much sugar and I feel the coating on my teeth and just want to offset it with something with a little salt and bite. That’s where this chicken and waffle creation comes into play. Recently, in Nashville, I was reminded just how amazing old fashioned fried chicken could be. I started out to rekindle that flame in my own kitchen, just in time for #WaffleWeek2015.
With a mix of sweet and a little heat, this brown sugar fried chicken recipe is perfect for breakfast or dinner when you are looking to fancy up a classic buttermilk waffle. Add a little more heat if your family can handle it, otherwise, know that this is a sweet, finger-licking creation that doesn’t require too much syrup to round out the whole package.
Get in the kitchen and fry.
See more Savory Waffle Combos:
- 1 recipe Buttermilk Waffles
- 1 chicken, broken down into 8 pieces, 2 wings, 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 breasts (breasts can be cut in half for portion size
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbs Tabasco sauce
- 1 tea white vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1-2 cups flour
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 teas chili powder
- 1/2 teas cayenne pepper
- Oil for frying
- Whisk the buttermilk, Tabasco, and vinegar together. Place chicken in a resealable bag and pour the buttermilk over top. Allow to marinate 4 to 8 hours in fridge.
- When ready to cook, prep your waffles and keep them warm in an over set to 300 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch Oven.
- Arrange the flour in a shallow dish and whisk in a little salt and pepper. Arrange a baking sheet with a grate set in the middle for drying.
- Whisk the brown sugar, chili powder, and cayenne in a small bowl and set aside.
- When all set and ready to go, remove each piece of chicken from the buttermilk and allow the excess to drain off. Dredge in the flour and make sure to coat all sides. Carefully place a few pieces as a time in the fry for about 15 minutes, until cooked through and golden.
- Carefully remove to the wire rack for a moment before using tongs to toss in the bowl with the brown sugar mix to coat. Place back on the rack to dry.
- Repeat as needed for each piece. Serve over the buttermilk waffles with a little syrup on the side.
- Waffled Polenta Crisps with Caponata by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cheese & Pear Waffle Appetizer by The Freshman Cook
- Churro Waffles by A Nerd Cooks
- Coconut Flour Waffles with Macadamia Nuts and Spiced Pineapple Syrup by Aloha Flavor
- Orange and Dark Chocolate Waffles by Cookie Monster Cooking
- Buckwheat Waffles Benedict by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Honey Bacon Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Stuffed French Toast Waffles by The Spiffy Cookie
- Pumpkin Waffles with Butter Pecan Maple Syrup or Chocolate Waffles by With Salt and Wit
- Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Pecan Waffles by Rhubarb and Honey
- Toasted Coconut Waffles by The Chef Next Door
- Pumpkin Waffle Sandwiches with Apple Butter and Brie by Go Go Go Gourmet
- Potato Waffle Eggs Florentine by Eats Well With Others
- Cauliflower Cheese Waffles by Food Lust People Love
- Sweet potato waffles with horseradish sauce by Our Good Life
- Mac and Cheese Waffles with Honey Bunches Chicken by Baking In A Tornado
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken & Belgian Waffles w/ Chili Whipped Butter & Maple Glaze by Blue Crab Martini
- Hummus Waffles with Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Sweet & Savoury Sausage & Apple Waffles by Fuchsia Freezer
- Nashville Hot Chicken and Waffles by GirlCarnivore
- Chicken and Spiced Sweet Potato Waffles by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Homemade Waffle Cones by Eva Bakes
- Pumpkin Pecan Waffles by Feed Me, Seymour
- Apple Pie Waffles by Spiced
- Red Velvet Waffles with Bourbon Cherry Syrup & Cream Cheese Drizzle by Cooking In Stilettos
- Pumpkin Pie Waffle Cake by Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Chocolate Strawberry Waffles by Dinner at the Zoo
- Banana Split Waffles by Cravings of a Lunatic