Slow Cooker Loaded Veggie Beef Stew
Ingredients – 3 tbs veggie oil – 2 onions diced – ¼ cup tomato paste – 6 garlic cloves minced – 1 tbs fresh thyme – ⅓ cup flour – 1 ½ cup chicken broth – 1 ½ cup beef broth – 2 large portabello mushroom caps gills removed – ⅓ cup soy sauce – 2 bay leaves – 1 4 lbs beef chuck roast boneless – 2 to 3 medium red potatoes – 4 carrots – 3 parsnips – 8 oz kale
2. Cook onions, tomato paste, garlic, and thyme in vegetable oil, In a large skillet over medium-high heat until softened. Stir in flour and cook. Whisk in chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits and stirring any lumps. Remove from heat, transfer to slow cooker.
2. Stir the beef broth, portabellos, soy sauce, and bay leaves into the slow cooker with the onion mix. Pat the beef dry, season with salt and pepper. Add to the crock pot.
3. Arrange a sheet of heavy foil out and toss the veggies with the rest of veggie oil, toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and wrap in the foil to create a packet. Gently lay the packet over the beef in the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 9 to 11 hours on low
4. Remove the foil pack from the cooker and let rest for 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, strain fat from the surface of the stew. Remove the bay leaves. Stir in the kale and cover for another 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Carefully transfer the veggies to the stew, (add additional broth if needed and heat through) stir and ladle into bowls.
Swipe up for the Full Recipe!