I was driving about the other day, mid meat coma while drooling on my steering wheel and wondering how I was going to make it home when an unfortunate cow stepped out in front of my car. Luckily for me, my Bond like reflexes saved the car and I was struck by the notion that I still has some fresh home made sliced beef waiting for me at home. I hurried home and discovered that I was in the mood for a purely indulgent lunch. Something no diet trend would allow. Something slathered with sauce and oozing with cheese. Something my boyfriend would be horrified by if he found me alone in the kitchen with.
No, I wasn’t feeding a heard of hungry game day spectators. This one was solo and just for me.
But no one needs to know, right?
I take no credit for this one, as it was my father who tossed these together while we were over watching football one night. If you don't have a roast ready to go, hit the deli counter and ask for good roast beef, rare, to throw in the crock pot.
- 3 - 4 lbs sliced roast beef
- 1 16oz jar Bone Suckin' BBQ Sauce
- 12 hoagie rolls sliced
- 1 - 2 red onions, sliced 1/4" thick
- 24 cheddar cheese slices
- Place sliced beef in slow cooker and stir in barbecue sauce to coat. Let heat through on low for 2 or 3 hours before serving.
- When ready to serve, preheat a grill. Arrange cheese, beef with sauce, and red onions on each roll. Wrap tightly in aluminium foil and place on grill. Cook until headed through, and cheese is melted. (You could also use a toaster oven).
- Top with additional barbecue sauce if needed. Slice in half and serve with additional paper towels. This is too sloppy a sandwich for weak napkins.