These quick chicken tostadas will re-energize and spark a little fiesta on your otherwise busy weeknight.
It’s the weeknight. You just sat in traffic for far too long and your brain is fried. Home should be the place that all the weight rises from your shoulders but some nights you just need to kick it in your PJ’s and watch re-runs of Broke Girls while hardcore girl crushing on Kat Dennings (yeah, I went there).
These nights, you could resort to a cold mushy bowl of cereal and self-loathing, or you could whip up a sassy little meal to perk you up like the fun banter between the Gilmore Girls ( I would have never guessed Sookie the breakout star). These quick chicken tostadas will re-energize and spark a little fiesta on your otherwise wasted busy weeknight.
What else were you really going to do?
Tacos and Tostadas are my happy place. From the super simple, to the loaded twisted tacos you’ll find on this site. I want all of them. Try these out next Tuesday! Do it!
- Baja Grilled Fish Tacos
- Easy Fire Roasted Poblano Crema for Carnitas
- BBQ Brisket Tacos with Dubliner Cheese Sauce
- Loaded Chorizo Tacos
If you’ve tried my Weeknight Chicken Tostadas recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram@girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts 6 to 8oz each, if thick, cut across the center, then into strips
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 15 oz can low-sodium or organic black beans
- 1 10 oz can Ro-tel Diced tomatoes with green chiles
- ¼ fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 oz feta or Mexican queso cheese crumbled
- 2 radishes sliced thin
- 1 avocado sliced for topping
- Lime sour cream, and salsa also make for great toppings. OMG, this salsa
- Tortillas fried in a little oil, drained, and kept warm in a clean kitchen towel.
- Heat the il in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Rub the chicken with the cumin, ½ teas salt and pepper. Place the chicken into the skillet and cook, until browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the skillet and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the beans to the skillet over the heat and add the tomatoes, and 2 tbs of the cilantro. Allow to cook, mashing the beans, until most of the liquid has evaporated and everything has thickened (make thinner with a little water or cook longer if you like your beans thicker). Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve the beans over the fried tortillas with the chicken on top. Allow your dinner party to garnish as desired with the cheese and radishes. Serve the remaining fresh cilantro in a small dish to allow guests to add the final touches to their tostadas.