Weeknight Skillet Chicken Parmesan
Ingredients – 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts – 1 day-old baguette – 2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil – ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated – ¼ cup plus 2 tbs finely chopped fresh basil – Salt and pepper – 1 15 oz can tomato puree – 1 clove garlic minced – ¼ teas red pepper flakes – ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Pound the chicken between two sheets of plastic or in a heavy duty bag to ¼″ – ½″ thick. 2. Dice the baguette into cubes, and place in a food processor a few at a time with the motor running to make coarse crumbs. You want about 1 ¼ cups total when all said and done.
3. In a large ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbs olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the breadcrumbs and toast, stirring. Add 2 tbs parmesan cheese and cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a plate or bowl and stir the 2 tbs of the basil. 4. Preheat the broiler.
5. Return the skillet to the cook top, add the remaining olive oil. Season the chicken with ¼ teas salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the skillet, cook until golden and cooked through. Transfer to another plate.
6. Add tomato puree, fill the can with water and add it to the skillet. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and 1 tbs of parmesan. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring until the sauce has thickened. Stir in the remaining basil. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
7. Add chicken back to the skillet and turn to coat. Top with remaining parmesan cheese and some of the bread crumbs. Spread the mozzarella cheese on top and the rest of the bread crumbs. Place under the broiler until the cheese has melted.
Swipe up for the Full Recipe!