Paleo Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce
Ingredients – 3 tbsp ghee or bacon fat – 1 onion minced – 2 carrots minced – 2 celery stalks minced – 4 garlic cloves minced – salt and pepper – ½ teas red pepper flakes omit if you don’t like a bit of heat – 1 teas fresh oregano finely chopped
– 1 teas fresh thyme – 2 tbsp tomato paste – ¼ teas freshly grated nutmeg – 1 lbs ground beef, lean – 4 oz whole 30 approved bacon or pancetta – ½ -1 cup coconut milk – 1 teas arrowroot powder if needed – 2 28 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes – 1 bay leaf
1. Heat the ghee or bacon fat in a large skillet and saute the onion, carrots, and celery until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. 2. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds..
3. Stir in the salt, pepper, red pepper, oregano, and thyme. Add the tomato paste and stir to coat, cooking 2 or 3 minutes. Stir in the nutmeg and add the mix to the slow cooker. 4. Brown the ground beef in the now empty skillet. Add to the slow cooker.
5. Add the cooked bacon or pancetta, coconut milk, strained fire roasted diced tomatoes, and the bay leaf to the slow cooker. Stir all to combine. 6. Cover and cook on low for to 7 hours. For the last half hour, remove the lid and allow the sauce to thicken.
7. Serve over oven-roasted spaghetti squash or (break those paleo rules) polenta, or thick pasta.
Swipe up for the Full Recipe!