Nothing screams lazy quite like the slow cooker. And boy, am I lazy. Sure, if this were serious lazy slow cooking, it would involve chicken and a jar of canned bbq sauce. Alright, so I’m classing things up a bit. Adding my own kick and putting a summer time classic on the table all year long. But really,when push comes to shove, their isn’t anything wrong with a jar of barbecue sauce. If you have the prep time, this version goes a long way.
- 1 lbs bone in spit chicken breasts
- 1 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 5 tbs chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teas cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tbs brown mustard
- 4 teas cider vinegar
- 4 teas hot sauce
- 3/4 teas liquid smoke
- Soft sandwich rolls
- Combine the onion, tomato paste, oil, chili powder, garlic, and cayenne in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave about 3 minutes, until onion is softened, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to slow cooker and whisk in the ketchup, molasses, mustard, and vinegar. Season chicken with salt and pepper, arrange chicken in the slow cooker, and spoon sauce over top. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours, until easily pulled with a fork.
- Transfer to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Whisk hot sauce and liquid smoke into the remaining sauce, cover and keep warm.
- Discard skin and bones from chicken. Shred the chicken and return to slow cooker. Toss with sauce.
Cooks Country April/May 2013
I served this with sweet apple slaw. A quick adapted version of this recipe.