It’s cool, we are comfortable enough now can have that moment together where we sit back and admit that every now and then dinner is downright lazy. Sure, slow smoked ribs may be a 24 hour affair, sausage making an afternoon spent grinding meat, and we’ll never forget those hours spent making sure all the mops, rubs, and cuts are just perfect. So once in a while, it’s all good if the side dish is simple and easy.
Creamy Skillet Corn
because sometimes sides are meant to be big on flavor but easy on the chef
- 5 strips bacon, cut into 1/2″ strips
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 teas paprika
- 1/4 teas cumin
- dash red pepper flakes
- 4 wedges Queso Fresco & Chipotle (or 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese)
- 3 – 5 tbs Mexican crema or sour cream
- 2 scallions, diced
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crispy. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Wipe the pan with a paper towel, but leave a little bit of bacon grease still in the pan. We’re going for flavor here.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the shallot. Cook for 1 minute. Add corn, paprika, cumin, red pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cheese and crema. Stir until cheese has melted and everything is creamy and smooth. Add the bacon back to the skillet and stir in the scallions. Serve.