Grilled Jalapeno Popper Fries
Loaded cheesy fries with a jalapeno popper and spicy chorizo punch all wrapped up in individual foil packets for delicious grilled packs and no cleanup!
- 2 tbsp butter melted and cooled
- 1 14 oz bag frozen waffle fries
For the Creamy Popper Topping:
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ Onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Jalapeno seeded, stemmed and minced
- 4 oz Cream cheese
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 4 oz Mozzarella
- Pinch of salt
- Chorizo cooked
- Slices jalapeno if desired
Make the foil packets:
Create 6 packets of foil by ripping off 4 9” long pieces of Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil.
In a large bowl, add the melted butter.
Toss the fries in the butter and using your hands, make sure they are all coated.
Divide the fries evenly into the foil packets, no more than a cup in each packet.
Carefully fold one long edge of the foil over the fries.
Repeat on the other long edge.
On the short edge, fold over twice, creating a bit of bulk, covering an inch of the fries as well.
Repeat with the remaining edge.
Pinch the corners together to create stability.
Grill the Fries:
Place the foil packs, with the open side up, on the cooler side of the grill.
Cover and grill for about 15 minutes.
Carefully, using heat resistant gloves, toss the fries in the foil packets.
Place back on the grill and cover. Cook an additional 15 minutes, until fries are cooked through, golden brown and crispy.
Meanwhile, make the creamy popper topping.
Make the Creamy Popper Topping:
Heat a small cast-iron skillet over the grill. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan.
Add the onion and sauté until softened, 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds longer.
Add the jalapeno, mayo, sour cream, salt, and 2 tbsp shredded mozzarella.
Stir to combine. Transfer to the cooler side of the grill or cover and remove from heat.
Top the Fries:
When the fries are cooked, carefully sprinkle a layer of half of the remaining mozzarella cheese over each.
Using a tablespoon, dollop the creamy jalapeno popper topping over the fries.
Top each with the remaining mozzarella and the chorizo.
Cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes longer. The cheese will be thoroughly melted.
Using a flat spatula, carefully remove the foil packets from the grill to cool before serving.
Serve the cheesy fries directly in the foil packets, on plates as the bottoms will be hot.
Garnish with sliced jalapeno, black beans, hot sauce (if you’re feeling bold), and cilantro.
- Drain the chorizo on paper towels to remove excess fat or oil before using it as a topping to prevent any soggy fries.
- Measurements were included for the mozzarella cheese, it’s about half of a small bag of pre-shredded cheese. But, to be honest, I usually add as much as I want when sprinkling directly on the fries.
- Once you have added the creamy popper toppings, the fries won’t hold up to being cooled and reheated. If you feel you may have leftovers, don’t top the fries, wrap them in foil and reheat them later.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 380kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 567mg | Potassium: 363mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 575IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 131mg | Iron: 1mg