Turkey Meatballs with Ginger and Oven Roasted Carrot Soup
These ginger-infused turkey meatballs are so easy to make and are delicious all by themselves, but with this simple roasted carrot soup recipe, they are downright magical!
For the turkey Meatballs
- 1 lbs Ground turkey
- 1 tspn Ginger freshly minced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ Onion minced
- 1 tbsp frsh Parsley minced
For the Carrot Soup
- 2 tbsp Oil divided
- 1 lbs Carrots
- ½ Onion diced
- 1 tbsp Ginger freshly minced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1 qt Chicken broth
- 1 cup Coconut milk
For the Gremolata
- 4 tbsp Parsley finely minced
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Lemon Zest
Mix the meatballs
In a clean bowl, mix the ground turkey with the ginger, garlic, salt, minced onion, and parsley.
When everything is well combined, divide and form into evenly proportioned meatballs.
Arrange the meatballs on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Cook the turkey meatballs
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F
Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat and coat with oil.
Sear the meatballs, rotating as each side browns.
Once all the meatballs have been flipped, transfer to the oven to finish cooking, another 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool.
Roast the carrots
Lay the carrots onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with a pinch of salt. Roll around to evenly coat the carrots.
Roast the carrots in the preheated oven until fork tender and browning, about 25-30 minutes.
Remove from oven and roughly chop when cool
Make the Soup
Heat a large Dutch Oven or pot over medium heat.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and saute the onions until soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the chopped carrots, ginger and garlic and cook 30 seconds longer.
Season liberally with salt and pepper.
Add the chicken stock, a little at a time, scraping up any browned bits before adding in the coconut milk.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer for 30 minutes or so.
Once the soup has simmered, allow it to cool for 20 minutes before using an immersion blender to puree to a smooth thick consistency. See notes for other methods.
Make the gremolata
While the soup simmers, mix the gremolata ingredients, parsley, salt, and lemon zest, together in a small bowl and let sit until ready to use.
- This recipe makes about 16 small meatballs.
- If you don't have an imusion blender, a good blender also works. To use a blender, let the soup cool complpetely ti rish any burns from spills. A food processor will also work, but pulse in small batches to avoid spills.
- If the meatballs seem sticky or too soft, pop them in the fridge for 30 minutes before cooking. This will help cool the meat and bond everything together.
- You can make the meatballs ahead of time. Par-freeze the meatballs in a single layer on a baking sheet before transfering to a resealable bag and storing in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refridgerator for up to 4 days.
- Re-heat the soup in a pot over low heat, stirring occasionally.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 1259mg | Potassium: 727mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 12954IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 3mg