Stuffed and Grilled Rainbow Trout
If you are concerned about presentation for your guests, you can remove the head of the trout by placing your knife directly under the gills and slicing through.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Resting Time 5 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 2 Servings
- 4 slices of bacon chopped into small pieces
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red pepper stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 8 oz organic baby spinach
- salt and pepper
- 2 teas apple cider vinegar
- 4 whole rainbow trout gutted and cleaned for cooking
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 lemon sliced into wedges
- tartar sauce of choosing I mixed lemon juice and some cayanne with mayo for a bit of a zing
Prep your charcoal grill for a single layer fire and clean and grease the grate well.
In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crispy, over medium heat. Remove from pan and place on paper towel-lined plate to drain. Add the onions and pepper to the skillet and season with salt. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the spinach and wilt, about 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat and allow to drain in a colander or over a mesh sieve. Toss in the bacon and season with pepper if desired.
Rub the inside of the fish with oil and season inside and out with salt and pepper. Stuff generously with the filling.
Make sure your grate is well oiled. Arrange the trout over the grate and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until flesh easily flakes with a fork.
Remove the trout from the grill and allow to rest in foil for 5 minutes before serving.