This weeknight quickie for the working man is perfect for busy nights. A Skillet Chicken Parmesan, bastardizing a classic Italian dish and making mouths water in anticipation.
Some nights you need to bust out the biggest skillet you own, toss all culinary inspiration out the window, and make a one dish wonder that all the palettes of the household will love. Just like mama would have. There’s something about a simple meat and pasta dish smothered in an unhealthy amount of cheese that is a bonafide hit in almost any imaginable combination. Warm, gooey, and sure to fill all the bellies. This weeknight quickie for the working man is perfect for just such an occasion. Bastardizing a classic Italian dish and making mouths water in anticipation. Therefore, make it tonight.
Because sometime’s it’s about the simplicity.
If you’ve tried my Weeknight Skillet Chicken Parmesan recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
- 1 lbs chicken breast
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 28 oz can pasta sauce
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 oz pasta I used shells
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese shredded, divided
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- Preheat broiler.
- Pound chicken to ½″ thick between two pieces of plastic wrap.
- Cut into 1" cube and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat to coat the pan.
- Add the chicken and cook, 5 to 7 minutes, until cooked through, turning as needed to cook evenly on all sides.
- Add the pasta sauce, oregano and red pepper flakes. Quickly add the water, and 1 cup chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Add the pasta and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat if needed. Cover and cook 16 to 18 minutes, until pasta is tender. Stir occasionally.
- When the pasta is cooked through, stir in half of the Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Top with remaining Parmesan cheese and mozzarella. Place under broiler and let cheese get nice and bubbly.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.