There are days when you are done. Just done. Getting work done took too long, getting home took longer than expected, and your local watering hole just updated to their seasonal menu. Everything says go out. Treat yourself. Have a cocktail. Snap back to reality and you are broke, and veggies are cheaper than pints. So, you muster up the energy and find yourself in the kitchen whipping up a steak and broccoli stir fry recipe that is going to save you the additional self loathing that the extra French fries would have any way. In 20 minutes, when this recipe is on the table and you have saved a few pennies, you can collapse before starting all over again the next day.
In the mean time, pat yourself on the back.
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs chili-garlic sauce
- 2 tbs veggie oil
- 1 1 1/2 lbs flank steak
- 1 lbs broccoli cut into 1" pieces
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 sweet pepper sliced
- 1 tbs fresh ginger grated
- 1 1/2 cups kale stems removed and chopped
- 1 tbs sesame seeds toasted
- Whisk the hoisin sauce, water and chili garlic sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Slice the steak into three long strips (lengthwise) then cut into this 1/4" pieces. Have all of your veggies and ready in place.
- Meanwhile, preheat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tbs of oil to the wok and heat until just smoking. Quickly cook the steak until browned on all sides, about 2 minutes, working in batches if needed. Remove from wok and set in a bowl; cover.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the the broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, and pepper. Cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes, until tender, stirring often.
- Add the ginger and cook 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Stir in the hoisin mixture and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until thickened a bit.
- Stir in the meat and and juices. Add the kale, cover, and cook about 2 minutes. The kale should be slightly wilted, but still bright green. Toss.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice if desired.